Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Sac Barge Canal

Thanks, much appreciate the perspective. Makes sense since it's primary purpose is for shipping/transportation....I'll just be sad since the launch is free (kayak) and its 2 min from my house so I can actually get some evening fishing in. Oh well!

Post Thanks / Like

Haven’t seen it first hand so some speculation on my part but in years past it was water hyacinth which is non-native and a problem for navigating. The ship channel is a man-made canal specifically for shipping. It does offer fish habitat, but that’s not it’s primary purpose.

There’s also a permitting process to do it, so it’s not just Bob and Fred spraying Roundup from a boat. Not an ideal situation, but making the best out of a tough one.

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly the vegetation that gets targeted is made up of invasive species that crowd out natives and can lead to disruptions to navigation. That more or less is the answer that you would get from a state or county official.

Unfortunately we never seem to get balanced action plans that take all interests into account. Things that benefit stripers and bass never hit the radar of the parasites that feed off of our tax and Fish and Wildlife dollars.

Other states seem to find balanced plans that combine effective mechanical weed control and modest spraying to enable users of all sorts to boat and fishers to fish in a healthy waterway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

West Sac Barge Canal

Supposedly, they recently sprayed and decided to kill all the green stuff that provides life. Having been out there the last couple of time, everything's brown and dead with no activity.

Excuse my lack of knowledge but why do they spray?

5. Likes John Bob liked this post