Thread: Setup Question

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Setup Question

I have caught more than a couple macs 10+ lbs, on a Vance's spiral wrap kokanee rod with 6lb. test.
    I don't recommend that, but use what you have before you go and buy something. I catch a lot of smaller macs in between the bigun's...
    An Ugly Stick is a decent choice, I don't remember which model # I have right now, (I am not at home)
    but it is one that I believe is a salmon/trolling rod. It's an 8 ft. has a soft tip and a decent backbone with a Abu 5500 reel.
    I have a couple more, but that is what I caught my personal best on.

I do tend to concentrate more on what is on the other end of the line, bait or lure choice and trolling speed are my main focus. On occasion, I do get lucky...
    Check your PM's, I will be glad to talk some more as I don't type that fast...

2. Likes Stickman, big_trout24 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have only caught them in Bucks lake. But trolling with my Scheels cheapo light/med 6ft rod. I think I got it for 15 bucks or something like that. 10 lb P.Line. As far as the reel goes, its a Bass Pro Tournament reel I got new for 30 bucks.
    Captain of the Little Liberator.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve got a couple 8’6” UglyStik Lite/Elite steelhead medium action rods with Abu Garcia 5500 reels 30# braid and 12# mono section for last 20-30’. I also use medium action bass rigs if I’m stacking more. Pretty much any medium action bait casting rig will work.

Union Valley has some 20# fish, but most are 2-4# and not much fun on a broomstick.

Enjoy the trip trip it’s a Great Lake.

5. Likes tejanopirate, Paintguy, Mr Ed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

my trout trolling rod held up just fine last weekend at Bucks Lake when I caught a 22" Mack on a rapala.

I have a lamiglass 7'6 with an abu garcia conventional reel spooled with 10lb mono

Post Thanks / Like

UVR is where I have caught most of my macks. Good luck out there and please let us know how you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
    How do you intend to fish for them? I jig for them with my heavier bass gear, shimano 7'3MH with curado 200 spooled with 30lb braid and 15 flouro leader. The setup works great for vertical jigging 1/4oz tubes to 2oz laser minnows. I haven't had a chance to target macks since aquiring my downriggers but lamiglas 9'3 heavy with okuma coldwater linecounter worked great on Pyramid cuts to 6lbs. What lake did you try for them before and where are you headed next?

-Adam
    we tried icehouse last weekend. Gonna try Union Valley this weekend. Thanks for the input on what to shop for.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you intend to fish for them? I jig for them with my heavier bass gear, shimano 7'3MH with curado 200 spooled with 30lb braid and 15 flouro leader. The setup works great for vertical jigging 1/4oz tubes to 2oz laser minnows. I haven't had a chance to target macks since aquiring my downriggers but lamiglas 9'3 heavy with okuma coldwater linecounter worked great on Pyramid cuts to 6lbs. What lake did you try for them before and where are you headed next?

-Adam

10. Likes tejanopirate liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tejanopirate View Post
    Hey guys,

... before I go this weekend with someone who is already knowledgeable I'd like to go and buy appropriate gear for catching macks.

Nate

I never fished for Macks but if you're going with someone that's knowledgeable, maybe also ask him what he'd recommend .
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

Setup Question

Hey guys,

I'm going fishing for macks my first time this weekend (tried last weekend, only to learn that there probably weren't any macks where we were fishing so ended up catching a bunch of rainbows). That being said, before I go this weekend with someone who is already knowledgeable I'd like to go and buy appropriate gear for catching macks. I'm assuming that I'm going to need a fairly stout setup, but if I were to go into Sportsmans or BassPro with say, $200 to spend, what should I look at / for? At the moment am just talking basic rod and reel. I'm 99% sure I've got the terminal tackle to handle the fish, just wanna make sure that I start off with the right rod / reel / and line.

Thanks in advance,

Nate

13. Likes big_trout24 liked this post