Post Thanks / Like

Re: Evening Kokanee bite?

A wise man, your grandfather!

Post Thanks / Like

One of the top local guides at Melones, runs evening trips, from 3pm to dusk. Puts limits in the boat, just like the early morning trips. Go when you can and make the best of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Iíve taken to trolling downwind almost exclusively to deal with it. If I troll through an area I catch fish in, Iíll pull up the gear, run back upwind, reset and go back through.

Grandfather gave me the best advice Iíve ever had related to fishing. The best time to fish is whenever you can.

Good luck, you should do fine.

I think what you do is probably the best advice about fishing in the wind. I always think about doing that, but never seem to do it. Not sure why. LOL.

BTW, I like your Grandfather's advice!

Post Thanks / Like

Canít say itís better than daylight, but certainly fish to be caught, and boat and launch ramp chaos is much nicer. Fished Stampede last Saturday evening and fish bit just fine. Orange or pink spinners and hoochies 40-50í. Only issue was wind was up which actually helped the bite, but makes boat control a pain. Iíve taken to trolling downwind almost exclusively to deal with it. If I troll through an area I catch fish in, Iíll pull up the gear, run back upwind, reset and go back through.

Grandfather gave me the best advice Iíve ever had related to fishing. The best time to fish is whenever you can.

Good luck, you should do fine.

5. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here I hit Lake Tahoe after work a lot and the bite is just as good and sometimes better. Like mentioned before no one out you get it to your self.

Post Thanks / Like

+1;

Some times you just can't get out early due to work schedules, however.........
    5pm and later bite is a great thing if that's all you have.

Even better if the wind and temperatures die down but, doable..............
    With the 6-2pm buzz............. kok's sometimes go deep to get away from it all but
    they can come up to 45 feet or even less for the late boater, to enjoy hook ups.

Depth depends a lot on water temps, pressure and food............ so it is a crap shoot.

Don't let a late start keep you off the water................
    Even Bankers like to fish !!

PS:
    I sure wish someone else would post!!
    I'm tired of seeing my name..........

I agree with going with the wind...........
    trying to elec. troll into the wind is a loosing game. Sooner or later it will turn you and you will need
    to scramble to reset your course or get tangled lines if really messed up.
    Last edited by Mr Ed; 07-02-2019 at 07:25 AM.

8. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use to go in the evening all the time and miss the fleet and catch a limit. From five till dark can be a very good time to hit a hot bite.

FPR Dale

10. Likes OYD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Evening Kokanee bite?

I'm heading up to Stampede this weekend. Anyone ever go Koke fishing in the evening? I can't imagine its as good as the morning bite, but its some of the only time I will have to get out there this weekend. Are there any pointers for a late afternoon/evening bite?
    Captain of the Little Liberator.