Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Me Choose A Rod for Lake Trout Fishing near Twin Lakes (Bridgeport, CA)

I really like the Phenix Elixir rods...they come in many different lengths. Just got back from the Eastern Sierras. Fished 12 days there. Love the sensitivity and "touch" of the Phenix rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help Me Choose A Rod for Lake Trout Fishing near Twin Lakes (Bridgeport, CA)

For 40 years I've been a Daiwa guy. My trout rig is a 4'6" Daiwa Eliminator graphite rod and a 37 year old Daiwa 700c. I've caught five-pound Eagle Lake Trout (at Eagle, 4lb test, worm on a hook) so I'm not worried about being hammered and if I lose one because the tackle isn't up to the challenge (big, heavy fish) I'll break out my OLDER Daiwa fiberglass rod (6'6") with a 1300C spinning reel. I have 15-lb braid on the 700 and 30 lb braid on the 1300.

My Daiwa ultralight has caught fish in rivers, lakes and streams. I'll never change brands at my advanced age (65).

For me, Daiwa gear has always delivered. Not sure why it isn't more popular than it is, but I think for myself and I don't much listen to anyone else. Like Eric Cartman says, "Whatever, I do what I want!" :D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the same style ultra-lite from Walmart, in center isle display.
    $17.94 and 4# crappy mono line, excellent drag on reel and perfect pole, 5' 6"
    Worm fishing at Topaz in first set of willows at the west end of canal.
    6.02# cutthroat and another at 4#.
    It will catch anything.
    Last edited by burninfuel; 07-15-2019 at 09:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Help Me Choose A Rod for Lake Trout Fishing near Twin Lakes (Bridgeport, CA)

Quote Originally Posted by PMR#9 View Post
    The bail should always close within one turn of the handle .Line twist on a spinning reel comes from to loose of the drag and continuous reeling
    I am sure Ed knows about that, I think he is referring to just toss and flipping in small streams on light gear, less wear on the mechanism of the reel and it tends to be quieter. Twin lakes has a bunch of access from the roadway but you need to crawl down the sides or crawl through a bunch of brush to reach the shore in places. Cheapo or mono line has it's own twist right off the spool, I call it "Curly Screw" myself...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    When you get over being a "Meat hunter" and want to just enjoy the fight of a trout to the max..........
    you might invest in a one peace ultra light 5ft 6" , quality rod and mini reel for less weight that
    will make hiking a pleasure.............. just take care of where you poke that rod !!
    It will go between trees , willows and bush much easier than the longer rods and still get a small spoon
    way out into a lake with 2-4 lb. test.

You will however loose a few set ups with the light gear but in time you will learn how to minimize your loss.
    I like the uni or improved for a quality knot.... and always close the bail manually on a spinning reel, to prevent
    line twist.
    Tight lines.
    The bail should always close within one turn of the handle .Line twist on a spinning reel comes from to loose of the drag and continuous reeling

6. Likes burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree

Fenwick Silver Hawk 5’6” ultralite pared with a NOS Shimano Magnumlite GT-X 2100sm SpeedMaster(6.2 : 1) anti reverse switch and fighting’ drag for those monster stream Brookies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Catch ya later ... hooks

8. Likes bigfin, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When you get over being a "Meat hunter" and want to just enjoy the fight of a trout to the max..........
    you might invest in a one peace ultra light 5ft 6" , quality rod and mini reel for less weight that
    will make hiking a pleasure.............. just take care of where you poke that rod !!
    It will go between trees , willows and bush much easier than the longer rods and still get a small spoon
    way out into a lake with 2-4 lb. test.

You will however loose a few set ups with the light gear but in time you will learn how to minimize your loss.
    I like the uni or improved for a quality knot.... and always close the bail manually on a spinning reel, to prevent
    line twist.
    Tight lines.

10. Likes Jetspray, Dbigone, hooks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Help Me Choose A Rod for Lake Trout Fishing near Twin Lakes (Bridgeport, CA)

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post
    A rod with stainless steel fugi guides with alconite rings will increase casting distance also. Stainless steel guides can be bent back into position where as Titanium guides are more rigid and tend to break. Depends on how rough you are on gear.
    Agreed and some line dressing works too, like Ardent Line Butter or Kevin van Dam's line & lure dressing......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

12. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A rod with stainless steel fugi guides with alconite rings will increase casting distance also. Stainless steel guides can be bent back into position where as Titanium guides are more rigid and tend to break. Depends on how rough you are on gear.
    Catch ya later ... hooks

14. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Help Me Choose A Rod for Lake Trout Fishing near Twin Lakes (Bridgeport, CA)

I have a couple of Pfleuger Presidents that I use for shore stuff. 7' is good enough and you can pickup some good one's at Walmart as well as the Pfleuger Presidents as well. I use braid for the mainline because you can use 10lb and a lighter weight lead line tied with a good swivel between (I like S-pro's for that). Thing about braid is the diameter and lack of memory for casting. One thing the more you pay for gear is not that much in this area.......Jetspray

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast