Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need to replace bunks on trailer

Quote Originally Posted by BDuck View Post
    I replaced the bunks by using a floor jack lifting one side at a time. Used pressure treated 2x6 with indoor/outdoor carpet over that. I also reused the plastic overlays which comes with some easy loader trailers providing an additional barrier against the aluminum hull.
    I did pretty much the same thing by jacking up one side at a time. It's not all that difficult if you are not in too big of a hurry. Basic tools and "common sense" will get it done without any secondary assistance.

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced the bunks by using a floor jack lifting one side at a time. Used pressure treated 2x6 with indoor/outdoor carpet over that. I also reused the plastic overlays which comes with some easy loader trailers providing an additional barrier against the aluminum hull.
    2000 F250 Diesel
    2007 Columbia Fisherman 2018XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 Kicker Raymarine Element HV9 4 Electric Walker Downriggers

3. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    I personally like polyethylene bunk boards. They aren’t cheap but they last a lifetime. They don’t rot, crack or deteriorate . You don’t carpet them. They are a little slippery when wet so your boat slides easily on and off.
    You might have to worry about polyestermites! Hahaha

Now you go to admit this was pretty funny. Get it . . . Polyester + Termites = Polyestermites!

I have a habit of laughing at my own jokes!
    Last edited by Ldubs; 07-14-2019 at 06:16 PM.

5. Likes redneckpunk, Jetspray, Waterdog, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by burninfuel; 07-13-2019 at 01:58 PM.

7. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Replacing bunks is easy. Usually all you need for tools is a socket wrench and a couple sockets. Maybe some open end wrench’s, screwdriver, hammer. You can launch the boat and do the job in the parking lot.
    If you have an aluminum boat do not use pressure treated wood. The chemicals in the wood will react with the aluminum and cause problems. You can use pressure treated with fiberglass boats. Most pressure treated is mostly crap lumber so I don’t use it on boat bunks.
    You can use Douglas fir from Home Depot or any other place. You may way want to carpet the bunks too. You can even get bunk boards on line and get them carpeted. Get new hardware, bolts, nuts and screws. Get Stainless steel .
    I personally like polyethylene bunk boards. They aren’t cheap but they last a lifetime. They don’t rot, crack or deteriorate . You don’t carpet them. They are a little slippery when wet so your boat slides easily on and off.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

9. Likes Trickytrucker, TrackerDV17, wckid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Need to replace bunks on trailer

Anyone replaced their bunks lately? Would like to do it myself if it's not to difficult! Where's the best place to get the supplies I need? Can you use pressure treated douglas fir?
    Any advice is appreciated.

Trolling Dave