Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bodega Bay Sharks and Rays

If you will be in Bodega Bay proper I would fish inside... 2 hrs before / after high if you’re in the shallower areas, first 2 hours after low if you’re closer to the channel. Recommend fresh salmon belly for Leos ($2/lb at Sun Fat market in SF) - they cut it into pieces that are perfect size for baits. I typically rig on 8/0 circles as it keeps the small ones off and prevents gut hooking. 60lb mono leader is fine, if you’re fishing braid make sure it’s at least 40 inches long as the shark’s tail will abrade the main line if it’s too short. Would use a 4-5oz pyramid sinker on a slider. Fish at night if you can and you’ll have much better luck.

I think rays are a pain in the butt but if you’re targeting them specifically I would use whole fresh or frozen squid. You will likely get Leos on that as well but I do better with sharks on oily fish.

Had great luck over the 4th at the Bolinas outlet at night on rig described above w/ salmon belly on the incoming. Much of the shoreline of the lagoon is fishable and those areas tend to be better day spots since there’s less boat traffic. Make sure you’re fishing before / after high because those spots get very shallow.

2. Likes parttimefisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bodega Bay Sharks and Rays

Hi guys I’m heading with family to camp in Bodega next weekend and was hoping to get on some sharks or Rays from the shore. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Locations baits etc... thanks happy fishing.