Thread: Newbie to Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie to Bass

Informative Fisherman does a bunch of local shooting and has practical tips for getting better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gkinney View Post
    My favorite Youtube channel is Realistic Fishing. He has his page well organized to learn different methods as well.
    Thanks for sharing, been watching fisherman's life, looking for something with more fresh water/delta content.

Post Thanks / Like

I've only spent the last two summers targeting black bass as I wait for the fallen spring seasons to chase stripers. Here's a few things that I have picked up along the way:

Learn how to use the drop shot! I played organized basketball up until my early 30s and the first warm up drill you pull off at whatever age or league you play in is going to be the layup drill. That's how I see the drop shot, just like in hoop it gets you on the board quick, builds that confidence. Unless I'm doing something like specifically targeting first light top water or something like that, I always start with a drop shot and go from there. And when I start slumping I go back to it.

Get good sun glasses so you can see the weed/grassline. This will save you from picking lettuce out of your hooks with every cast. You will be able to aim exactly where you want.

No need for super expensive gear, solid mid range gear gets it done, especially when you're in the beginning stages. I have one setup that's over 400 bucks and my spinning dropshot setup outfishes by the number 8-1. That's not to say that you won't need the better gear once you get into top water, glides, punching etc. You will land less in numbers but more chance for a chunker when you go big or go home.

There is a wealth of knowledge from all of the true gurus, on youtube, the rest of the net as well as here on the sniffer, but don't take everything you read/see as gospel. Invest time in trying new techniques and fishing new water and developing your game. I go to advice from my guru friends when I need to bounce an idea or problem off someone I know is better than me.

Don't believe in social media! Lots of ppl out there taking well time and well posted shots to make you think they are studs. Don't feel you have to keep up, some of them are bonafide, some are nobs just like the rest of us, but one thing is for sure, nobody is immune to a bad day fishing.

Be thankful! Don't focus on your success on numbers, realize you already have it made if you are blessed enough to spend time on the water or the banks. Once you let go of ago, the fish seem to roll in.

Lots of bass warriors will probably read this and think "noob" which I'm not disagreeing with. I've been fishing the delta for over 20 years and still consider myself a novice at best, but these are just a few things I've come to find while targeting the ol black bass.

4. Likes burninfuel, BB510, mchrisk72 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I found this series "Beginner's Guide to Bass Fishing" on YouTube last night and found it to be very good. This episode on bait and tackle breaks down beginner lures pretty well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrTWzmpVSO4

For me I'm definitely going out to get a spinnerbait and buzzbait so I can get some casting action in.
    Always Be Casting! - The mantra of an obsessive angler

6. Likes BB510 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gkinney View Post
    My favorite Youtube channel is Realistic Fishing. He has his page well organized to learn different methods as well.
    Thanks for the tip!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi - fellow newbie here! I actually went out for my first official freshwater trip this week and hooked into my first bass. Also wasn't big but it was super fun. Fished saltwater for several years but freshwater is definitely a different challenge.

So far the only tool in my arsenal is the weightless Texas-rigged Senko. It seemed to do the trick in the morning, but wasn't getting any bites once mid-day hit. I'd also like to try topwater as the bodies of water I'm planning to visit all have fairly heavy cover with tules and duckweed.

What's a good beginner topwater bait to try? Ideally as weedless as possible to avoid hang up frustration for a newbie. Spinner bait? Frogs?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Newbie to Bass

Hey all,
    I have been mainly a trout fisher most of my life, but have been out of the game for a few years. A few weeks ago, while on a camping trip at New Hogan with the family, a few of us decided last minute to get a fishing license and toss some lures around in the mornings/evenings. Well, I hooked into my first bass and now Im hooked! It was a dinker, probably just over a pound, but man was it fun to catch after all these years.
    I went out and hit Niles pond in Fremont last night for about an hour. Tried dropshotting and topwater. Got nothing, as expected. Hundreds of little baby bass swimming all over buy the dock.

Im not a newb to fishing, but definetly to bass fishing. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

See ya on the boards!