Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grouse Lake or Winnemucca

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Otherside of the highway and a couple mile hike past the creek?

Just curious. Have heard different reports out of a lake that way, but havenít been up there in quiet a while.

Congrats on a nice trip.
    Yes, that's the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by natemeister View Post
    I've visited Round Lake plenty of times, have often watched the Osprey circling, 3 to 4 at a time, then diving and pulling out a nice trout.

I was up by Kirkwood this weekend and caught 3 nice brookies in a nearby lake. Fishing was hot, everyone was hitting, on Powerbait surprisingly.

Otherside of the highway and a couple mile hike past the creek?

Just curious. Have heard different reports out of a lake that way, but havenít been up there in quiet a while.

Congrats on a nice trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I've visited Round Lake plenty of times, have often watched the Osprey circling, 3 to 4 at a time, then diving and pulling out a nice trout.

I was up by Kirkwood this weekend and caught 3 nice brookies in a nearby lake. Fishing was hot, everyone was hitting, on Powerbait surprisingly.

4. Likes yell0wshirt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Round Lake I was referring to is south of Tahoe. You can hike in from either the Big Meadow trailhead on Hwy 89, or Carson Pass on Hwy 88. Both are 5 miles +/-. You canít see the lake itself, but you can see the cliffs above it when you drive Hwy 50 over Echo Summit if you look to the south.

I havenít been to Round Top, but you can get there from Winnemucca if you try that hike. Itís not that much farther looking at the map.

Cup lake and Lake #3 in Desolation wilderness both had Goldenís. Both are a tough hike and the fish are small but they do have them. Caught my first Golden in the outlet creek to Lake #3. Odd to be proud of a 6Ē trout, but I was/am.

6. Likes muledeer12 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Round lake is off hwy 88 towards Scott Lake. Iíve been back there a couple times (maybe 10-12 years ago) and is a nice lake too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Actually now that I think about it, I should have recommended Round Lake. Itís up in that area. A bit longer hike, but nice Cutthroat in there, and once ran across another group of gals working on losing some tan lines.

I need to get back into hiking.
    I did get a few brooks out of Hemlock. It's a lot smaller (about a third of the size of Grouse), but there were a lot of fishing swimming around. I'll have to try to get to twin lakes later this year. It looks like a bit longer hike, but i'm always up for a nice hike.

Round Lake? When I searched it, it is showing it's off highway 80, but these lakes are off of 50. did you mean Round Top Lake off of highway 88? I've never caught a Cutthroat, but i'd like to try to get some and some Golden's this year if I can. Just gotta find the lakes they're in and get to them!

Thanks for the help all.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually now that I think about it, I should have recommended Round Lake. Itís up in that area. A bit longer hike, but nice Cutthroat in there, and once ran across another group of gals working on losing some tan lines.

I need to get back into hiking.

10. Likes MKE, bigfin, yell0wshirt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sweet. A 12Ē brookie out of that lake is a trophy. Did you get any out of Hemlock? Figured it might go fishless as itís so small but there were a few last I was there.

Congrats on a nice trip. The other trail to Twin Lakes and Island is about the same with similar fishing. Plus last time I was there a couple of gals were swimming in their birthday suites. That may have had something to do with my fond memories of the place.

Thanks for the report.

12. Likes bigfin, yell0wshirt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report and pictures!

Thanks for sharing!!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Had a great day hike in to Grouse and Hemlock yesterday. Explored a bit too and put in about 10 miles or so in total. The hike to Grouse (according to my GPS) is about 2.3 miles. It took about 50 minutes to get to the top since I stopped and took a lot of photos. Hemlock is about .6 miles from Grouse and I'm told Smith is another .5 miles or so, but it's a harder hike. I hiked in with a full pack since it's good for me to practice with a full pack, but also keep the 10 essentials on me since I may choose to stay overnight sometimes.

Fishing was great! Missed about 12 hits on my lures, but the fish may have been small, but I also clip all the barbs on my lures since I only CR fish. Caught 12 brooks in total, the biggest being about 12". I used Red & Gold Thomas Buoyants, Brown Trout Buoyants all in the 1/6th size and Parachute Adams flies.

Just need to get a better net now.....

Thanks again to everyone who replied to this thread. I'm actually going to try to go back in a week or two and maybe stay the night. Definitely need insect repellant for these lakes though!

E6544199-A220-4DED-991D-55E887FF7777.jpg28E1903B-8B08-4DEA-9094-1A4FDD82BE21.jpg0306F9DC-42FA-4F03-A1AB-11A6E70E4486.jpgB7952B1F-7DC8-4376-83C6-F5AACA34486D.jpg

15. Likes RideNfish, MKE, Stickman, muledeer12 liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast