Post Thanks / Like

Re: Camping and Fishing - Best Practices for Cleaning Fish?

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    I’ve got no problem throwing head and guts back, provided it’s not affecting others. Small creeks and rivers in swimming areas is rude in my opinion. Same for lakes where they’re visible to others. Just a respect thing. If those aren’t issues, if feel they’re food in the chain.

As for processing fish before getting home, if I’m eating them at camp, fillet once you’re off the water. If I’m transporting home, Scale, gill, gut and blood line get removed and the rest goes on ice.

Just what I do.
    I think I tend to agree with your approach. Too much dumping along the banks in shallow still water could make it pretty nasty, IMO. Out in he middle of a deep lake, I think it would be no issue.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve got no problem throwing head and guts back, provided it’s not affecting others. Small creeks and rivers in swimming areas is rude in my opinion. Same for lakes where they’re visible to others. Just a respect thing. If those aren’t issues, if feel they’re food in the chain.

As for processing fish before getting home, if I’m eating them at camp, fillet once you’re off the water. If I’m transporting home, Scale, gill, gut and blood line get removed and the rest goes on ice.

Just what I do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plug-n-Jug View Post
    Question. Why do you throw the guts in the trash? It ends up stinking and attracting those dam meat bees. Why don't you clean bank side and toss the head & guts in the water. Its actually good for the lake ecology. I know that there are a few bodies of water that prohibit this .
    We typically toss guts into the water IF there are consumers in the water (e.g., small bait fish, crayfish etc.) and it's not prohibited on the particular body of water. If filleting Heads and bones either get packed for crab bait or discarded. I usually bring our foodsaver with us camping if there's heavy fishing planned, our truck's 110 outlet will run it without popping a fuse (only pulls ~1.2amps) then into the bear proof cooler, YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like

No Particular reason, just what I've always done. The last time I went camping was in 2004 for turkey hunting. I can't remember the last time I camped to fish. Also, going forward, I wont be camping much if at all.

Maybe I should have started with....many years ago when I was younger I.......
    Catch ya later ... hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Question. Why do you throw the guts in the trash? It ends up stinking and attracting those dam meat bees. Why don't you clean bank side and toss the head & guts in the water. Its actually good for the lake ecology. I know that there are a few bodies of water that prohibit this .
    Last edited by Plug-n-Jug; 08-01-2019 at 02:59 PM.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

Post Thanks / Like

I use method #3 for filleting cooked fish.

https://www.wikihow.com/Debone-a-Trout

I scale the fish and cut the head off and gut the fish and clean out the blood line in the water. Throw the head and guts in the garbage can if there is one. If not I bury them.
    Catch ya later ... hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hookem2004 View Post
    I've always just kept the fish whole and put them in ziploc bags and throw them on ice and process them at home.
    Thats usually what I do too, but I was asking about those situations when you're fishing during the day and cooking the fish in camp at night, so processing has to be done somewhere between the lake and the site.

I've mostly avoided filleting so far since I fish mostly trout and cooking a whole (gutted) trout can actually be quite good, but I appreciate the advice.

Post Thanks / Like

I've always just kept the fish whole and put them in ziploc bags and throw them on ice and process them at home.

If freezing a fish, I freeze the whole without cleaning or gutting to prevent freezer burn on the inside of the fish unless I'm vacuuming sealing them.

If your camping, I'm not sure you can filet them because you have to show proof to the warden that you do not have over limit of fish.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

Post Thanks / Like

Camping and Fishing - Best Practices for Cleaning Fish?

Hi all,

When it comes to camping and fishing, how do you all clean and filet fish? I've mostly been catching trout and gutting/scaling in the lake (well away from camp), but keeping the guts and throwing them in the bear-proof trash at the campsite. I haven't cut filets yet though.

Is there a better and or easier way? What do you all do when you camp?