Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tried to buy a box of 22 ammo

Gun rights advocates sue to block California’s new ammo law requiring background checks

i AM GOING TO WATCH THIS PLAY OUT.
    You can’t fix stupid, no matter how much duct tape you use!
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

2. Likes Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Tried to buy a box of 22 ammo

Quote Originally Posted by BDuck View Post
    No problem living in Utah, the lines are long at the ammo counters when gun shows are in town. We do have plenty of gun shows. I have over 1500 rounds of .22 for plinking & varmint, .45acp, lead & steel shot 12ga shells of 2 3/4, 3, &3 1/2". 7.5 French MAS rounds, 7mm Mauser, 410, 30.06, 3030 😊The arsenal keeps building. Butttt, what happens in Calif usually plays a domino effect elsewhere.
    A few years ago our local Walmart opened (it was during the 8 years of Ohblahblahma), there was a run on ammo at the time. When they finally opened the front door on the south end of the store, there was a rush in that was crazy. I got a cart and watched the ceremony of grand opening of the store. I noticed that there was not many around me, and I shook the hands of some of the local dignitaries and others. Then I went to shop, there was a 3 wide line all the way across the store to the sporting goods section, they were waiting for it to officially open to buy ammo. I think it was cleaned out in about 30 seconds of everything ammo...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

4. Likes CDK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No problem living in Utah, the lines are long at the ammo counters when gun shows are in town. We do have plenty of gun shows. I have over 1500 rounds of .22 for plinking & varmint, .45acp, lead & steel shot 12ga shells of 2 3/4, 3, &3 1/2". 7.5 French MAS rounds, 7mm Mauser, 410, 30.06, 3030 😊The arsenal keeps building. Butttt, what happens in Calif usually plays a domino effect elsewhere.
    2000 F250 Diesel
    2007 Columbia Fisherman 2018XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 Kicker Raymarine Element HV9 4 Electric Walker Downriggers

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post
    After further searching.....

Thanks to everyone for clearing this up for me.

This is what I was going by
    On Jan. 1, it will be illegal to import into California ammunition purchased inanother state. The legislature passed a bill in 2016 that would have allowed huntersto bring in up to 50 rounds from out of state without taking it to a dealer, but Proposition 63 overrode that, according to the Department of Justice.Dec 11, 2017

https://www.google.com/search?q=non+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I think every bullet should have your DNA on it, so spit on them when you load them, that way they can find our who shot the bullet, everywhere in California, unless your residence is in LA or SF, then they can only identify them if your crap on them...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

8. Likes Waterdog, OYD, CDK, zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After further searching.....

Thanks to everyone for clearing this up for me.

This is what I was going by
    On Jan. 1, it will be illegal to import into California ammunition purchased inanother state. The legislature passed a bill in 2016 that would have allowed huntersto bring in up to 50 rounds from out of state without taking it to a dealer, but Proposition 63 overrode that, according to the Department of Justice.Dec 11, 2017

https://www.google.com/search?q=non+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Catch ya later ... hooks

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grncrestliner View Post
    The info I have found indicates a non resident hunting in Ca. can bring in the ammo to hunt with. I do not believe there is a limit on quantity. A duck hunter driving to Ca. to hunt for a few days will need a lot more ammo than a person who would hunt big game like deer.

It is only residents who cannot bring in ammo.
    This information is spot on. I think the biggest problem is goin to be when waterfowl hunters come into California and either don’t bring ammo or don’t bring enough. On a multi day hunt a duck hunter can shoot up a bunch of boxes of shells. It is also illegal to give ammo to someone else but would be almost impossible to bust someone for doing so.
    So Hooks you can bring ammo into California and hunt to your hearts content. Remember though no lead is allowed for any hunting in California. Non lead cartridges is going to change the ballistics you are use to with lead. Until hunters get use to the ballistic characteristics of non lead there is going to be less 1 shot kills and more wounding and crippling.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 07-26-2019 at 09:37 AM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

12. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post
    Thanks for this info

After a quick search I also found out that prop 63 overrides the previous law allowing non resident to transport ammo under 50 rounds into California.

So as a Nevada resident I can’t buy ammo in California nor transport ammo into California?

So much for my lifetime California hunting license and big game package.

Archery only I guess?...for now.
    The info I have found indicates a non resident hunting in Ca. can bring in the ammo to hunt with. I do not believe there is a limit on quantity. A duck hunter driving to Ca. to hunt for a few days will need a lot more ammo than a person who would hunt big game like deer.

It is only residents who cannot bring in ammo.

14. Likes Waterdog, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grncrestliner View Post
    If you are a California resident you can do a couple of things to be eligible to purchase anmmo in the future. You can buy a new gun so you will be in the system. You can register a gun you already own. Or you can do a $20 dollar background check that might take a short period of time. I am sure there is more than one source of info out there that explains it all. The gun shop should have been able to explain it to you. Either way you will have to spend some money to get it done.
    If you are not a California resident you cannot buy ammo in California.

Oh and you cannot import ammo from another state if you are a resident.
    Thanks for this info

After a quick search I also found out that prop 63 overrides the previous law allowing non resident to transport ammo under 50 rounds into California.

So as a Nevada resident I can’t buy ammo in California nor transport ammo into California?

So much for my lifetime California hunting license and big game package.

Archery only I guess?...for now.
    Catch ya later ... hooks

16. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Tried to buy a box of 22 ammo

Gee I guess I will have to order some, still can do that in Nevada. But my local gun shop about 2 miles away probably has some if I need it......Jetspray

18. Likes Waterdog, Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what an FFL at a gun store explained to me a week ago. If you are buying ammo for a caliber gun that there is a record of you buying or owning, the background check costs $1.00. If there is no record of you buying or owning the caliber gun that you want to buy ammo for then the background check costs $19. If the background check is clean then you can buy as much ammo as you want. If you are rejected from the purchase there is a procedure that you can find out from the DOJ the reason.
    Every time you buy ammo a background check is required. So if you bought it today and again tomorrow another background check would be required tomorrow.
    So unless there is something that showed up in the background check CDK you can buy your 22 ammo. I think probably the store you tried to buy from doesn’t know what they are doing. Try another store that sells guns and has a FFL present.
    I of course am not advising anyone to do this but if you drive to Reno Nv. You can buy all the ammo you want, no problem, no hassle. It is of course illegal to bring it back into California. I took a nice Saturday drive to Cabelas last Saturday and all I can say is they had a lot of ammo on sale at great prices. Not that I bought any of course.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 07-25-2019 at 06:44 PM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

20. Likes TBSP, Jetspray, zipperman, wckid, MKE, OYD liked this post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast