Thread: Faulty Line?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Faulty Line?

Quote Originally Posted by TBSP View Post
    This happened about 2 months ago but Im still bothered by it. I had just respooled my medium size spinning reel that I use for plugging for striper with 14 lb. mono. Not going to name the manufacturer but its a very popular line that I have been using for decades. Went out in the early morning and was throwing some topwater plugs. Had a nice little striper, about 25, come up and grab my plug about 8 away. Lifted the tip of the rod, hardly any resistance, line breaks at the knot. What the .... Poor striper now swimming around with a 7 plug stuck to his face. Started tying on a new swivel, improved clinch knot, slid it down, snap. About 1 pound of pull. Stripped off about 20 of line, tried again, snap. Then I wrapped my sweatshirt around each hand and pulled the line with no knot. Snap, probably 2 pounds of strength. Threw the spool into the bag and grabbed a spare with 20 pound braid so I could keep fishing. When I got home, I stripped about 100 yards off and tried it there. Same results. This is high quality line, bought from a large tackle retailer so I know it couldnt have been sitting on the shelf for long. I have serious trust issues now. All my years of fishing this has never happened. Anyone else have a similar experience?
    As with any mass produced product there are times when all does not go right with the manufacturing process. Within the past 15 years I have had the same issue with 3 different Berkley lines although they were fresh out of the box. Berkley stood behind their product and replaced the lines. Write or call the manufacturer about your issues with the line. There is a good chance they will make it right as far as the line goes.
    On the other hand, a few years back I had an issue with a new fly line that was one with a float tip that did not float. That well known manufacturer did not stand behind their product so I have never purchased any more of their products and to this day still reference the poor quality and reliability of that company's products both with guides and others who recommend equipment for new fly fishers.

2. Likes TBSP, Jetspray, Mr Ed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    +1 on the line conditioner, ardent line butter, Kevin van Dam's lure & line conditioner, and Tangle free are my favorites. A look at your guides will tell too, and lube the guide and roller is a must. I just use hot sauce lube on those......Jetspray
    I just bought some items from VanDam Warehouse earlier this morning.

Line conditioner was one of the items. I wanted the new salt water conditioner but, to my surprise, they don't have it. I saw it on ebay for 14.99 for 8oz bottle.

I was lucky on a bid for 3 Tasmanian Devils, 26gram for 6.00 + 3.49 shipping. They are around 10.00 each new on ebay for the colors I use.

Catch ya later ... hooks

4. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Faulty Line?

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post

I've been using the same line since and it is holding up fine. I started using line conditioner. Not sure if that was the remedy?

Also faulty guides can play havoc on fishing line.

And also faulty level wind guide and bail line roller on spinning reel.

+1 on the line conditioner, ardent line butter, Kevin van Dam's lure & line conditioner, and Tangle free are my favorites. A look at your guides will tell too, and lube the guide and roller is a must. I just use hot sauce lube on those......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

6. Likes hooks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem only with braid. 20lb test and I could break it easily just wrapping around my fingers and pulling. Used it for the season at Pyramid and when I checked at the beginning of the following season the line had failed.

I've been using the same line since and it is holding up fine. I started using line conditioner. Not sure if that was the remedy?

Also faulty guides can play havoc on fishing line.

And also faulty level wind guide and bail line roller on spinning reel.

Last edited by hooks; 07-29-2019 at 08:24 AM.
    Catch ya later ... hooks

8. Likes Jetspray, TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mono is an extruded line and the chemical make up changes from manufacturer and the manufacture. They sample test but sometimes it can slide by. It is kind of why I went to super braids, less hassle and most of the time I can see if the line has gone bad, usually only have to strip some off. Mono streches and the molecular make up changes with conditions of the environment, for me it has too much memory.....Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

10. Likes TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Age and temperature can affect mono.

No way of telling either by the time you buy it.

A few years ago members were posting the same problem with braid that had been bought on ebay.

Although the box and packaging looked like the real manufacturer upon close examination it had been made in China.

Mike
    Last edited by TrackerDV17; 07-28-2019 at 09:40 PM.

12. Likes Jetspray, TBSP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem with a 10# mono reeling in a Koke. Broke so I peeled off about 20' and the same thing happened. So I grabbed a lenght at each end, pulled apart and yes, snapped with little effort. Spool was cheap enough so it went in the trash.
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

14. Likes TBSP, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Faulty Line?

This happened about 2 months ago but Im still bothered by it. I had just respooled my medium size spinning reel that I use for plugging for striper with 14 lb. mono. Not going to name the manufacturer but its a very popular line that I have been using for decades. Went out in the early morning and was throwing some topwater plugs. Had a nice little striper, about 25, come up and grab my plug about 8 away. Lifted the tip of the rod, hardly any resistance, line breaks at the knot. What the .... Poor striper now swimming around with a 7 plug stuck to his face. Started tying on a new swivel, improved clinch knot, slid it down, snap. About 1 pound of pull. Stripped off about 20 of line, tried again, snap. Then I wrapped my sweatshirt around each hand and pulled the line with no knot. Snap, probably 2 pounds of strength. Threw the spool into the bag and grabbed a spare with 20 pound braid so I could keep fishing. When I got home, I stripped about 100 yards off and tried it there. Same results. This is high quality line, bought from a large tackle retailer so I know it couldnt have been sitting on the shelf for long. I have serious trust issues now. All my years of fishing this has never happened. Anyone else have a similar experience?

16. Likes Jetspray liked this post