Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Downrigger: Cable or Braid

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Well I am officially Switzerland now when it comes to this issue as I now have one of each on the boat
    I think you made the right decision, if I switch it may be the same sort of action on my part. One thing with braid is make sure you do excellent knots and maybe put a little crazy glue on the knot to make sure it does not slip. Also keep and eye on frays on the line, it can go bad in a heart beat. If you do the quick drop to put your weight down it goes very fast and could snap if it is fray'ed……...Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Downrigger: Cable or Braid

Well I am officially Switzerland now when it comes to this issue as I now have one of each on the boat

3. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
    I haven't noticed any wobble so I guess if there is any it can't be too severe. I can say without any hesitation, the pancake weights are anything by symmetrical in cross section so I would be surprised if they track perfectly. Next time out I'll have to pay attention.

Thanks for the heads up.

PS: Hmmm, maybe someone should come up with a DR weight that oscillates side-to-side 3 or 4 feet to give our spoons more action. Whoever makes a million bucks on this idea should take Jetspray and me to lunch! Hahah
    When I use mine I always drop them in the water and watch what they do. Folks I know do the same, because you never know what the fin goes through from the garage to the boat. You can actually change the movement by bending the fin, never done that myself, but they do great at depth to keep things straight......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    Pancake weights have a tendancy to wobble at times. If you have your clips on those and do not wish to have them do that I would suggest using a shuttle hawk to get to that depth. Wobble is OK but you have to know that they do that........Jetspray
    I haven't noticed any wobble so I guess if there is any it can't be too severe. I can say without any hesitation, the pancake weights are anything by symmetrical in cross section so I would be surprised if they track perfectly. Next time out I'll have to pay attention.

Thanks for the heads up.

PS: Hmmm, maybe someone should come up with a DR weight that oscillates side-to-side 3 or 4 feet to give our spoons more action. Whoever makes a million bucks on this idea should take Jetspray and me to lunch! Hahah

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pancake weights have a tendancy to wobble at times. If you have your clips on those and do not wish to have them do that I would suggest using a shuttle hawk to get to that depth. Wobble is OK but you have to know that they do that........Jetspray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    It really doesn’t make any difference whether you use braid or cable.I use cable because that’s what I’ve always used and I’ve been quite successful with it. As far as down rigger hum, I find it music to my ears. It’s doesnt adversely affect fishing, it doesn’t scare fish and I often catch fish
    while the down riggers are humming.
    Yep, it is a welcome sound. If I'm hearing cable hum it means I'm in the boat out on the water!

I switched from 8# round to 12# pancake weights. Hum seems to be much less. Don't know why. Could be my hearing is just deteriorating. Who knows.

9. Likes Waterdog, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerDV17 View Post
    I read somewhere that Scotty downriggers are designed to put out .600 volts which my two do.

My Big Jon's put out .650 - .700.

This is right in the range that supposedly attracts most fish we troll for.

The only way I'd switch to braid is if I had Hot Boat Syndrome and couldn't correct it.

As others have stated I like cable sing and if it changes or quits it's usually "Fish On".

Mike
    ++++1 I have a black box for varying the volts and sending signals on the line. My cannon's do send signals as well. Electro pulse and sounds will bring in fish, as well as scent. I guess the more you put in the more you will get out. Most of my fishing in the last 13 years has been no more than 20 to 30 ft down, but in the past it was way much deeper, and I know that it works...….Jetspray

Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere that Scotty downriggers are designed to put out .600 volts which my two do.

My Big Jon's put out .650 - .700.

This is right in the range that supposedly attracts most fish we troll for.

The only way I'd switch to braid is if I had Hot Boat Syndrome and couldn't correct it.

As others have stated I like cable sing and if it changes or quits it's usually "Fish On".

Mike
    Last edited by TrackerDV17; 08-05-2019 at 11:25 PM.

12. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by okie View Post
    dave, I understand, stuck at home, misery loves company.
    be safe
    I'm still hoping for the fest, maybe I won't be able to take the boat but there is always shore stuff to do. Hope to "see" you there anyway...….Jetspray

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    I used to tell all the guys I worked with, just about every day, we have sex every day we come to work because we are screwed all the time. I do not think fishing is a competition I leave that to others and just enjoy doing it when I can. You are welcome along anytime I get to go, but for me I am stuck at home right now with physical issues...….Jetspray

dave, I understand, stuck at home, misery loves company.
    be safe

15. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast