Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Silverlake Camping

Hi All:

Just spent a week up at Silver lake - -Hiking was great. Fishing not so much. Did'nt see one legal size fish (even from the boating contingent) all week. The lake had turned over so surface water was warm. Cray fish were available in deeper water. Neighbors in the campground also tried Kirkwood lake with no luck. Still a great time--Thanks for the tips.

2. Likes Waterdog, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For crawdads we used to take traps and toss them in Caples off the dam when it got dark and everyone was gone. Woke up in the morning grabbed a cup of coffee and a BIG bucket or empty ice chest and go get the traps. With 2 traps we would have 100’s of dads. After 2 days of camping I didn’t want to eat anymore and there were usually 3-4 people eating them.

You can buy crawdad traps traps but I usually find cheap minnow traps at garage sales or someplace and just cut the opening a little larger so the big dads can get inside easier. Bait with old frozen fish heads (the best) or just about anything from cat/dog food, table meat scraps, bacon, hotdogs, or whatever.

Man i haven't done that in 20 years. I miss those days!!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Silverlake Camping

Thanks everyone. Sounds like we just need to get out and give it a try - -and have the crawdads as a failsafe. Love the potholes - -always a great hike.

5. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Silverlake Camping

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    If you want the kids to catch "Mudbugs" just tie on to the line a half section of BACON !!

GUARANTEED to work.
    Everyone likes BACON Ed, a can of tuna or cat food with fish in it, punctured and laid inside of a fishing net with the handle and the top of the net tied with rope or fishing line will pull them up too...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Silver lake has an old scout camp we turned into group camps under the "friends of camp silverado" non profit. A nice hike with kids is the "pot holes" on the opposite side of 88 from the main entrance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

If you want the kids to catch "Mudbugs" just tie on to the line a half section of BACON !!

GUARANTEED to work.

9. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven’t fished Silver for a couple years. Every fishing report I’ve seen concerning Silver lake over the past 2 years has been lousy. I think your chances of catching trout there are poor at best. You should try the others lakes already mentioned here. Try lures like kastmasters, rooster tails, mepps spinners etc. For bait power bait type baits are good. Few people use salmon eggs now a days but they can be killer bait for trout.
    Also kids (and me included) love catching fish with a bobber. In early morning try using a worm under a bobber. When kids see that bobber start bobbing and disappear they’ll get crazy excited.
    Last edited by Waterdog; 08-06-2019 at 07:51 PM.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

11. Likes Trickytrucker, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Silver and Caples are hit and miss depending on plants. A typical Carolina rig with power bait works well for planters. On Silver Lake the area around the boat ramp and to the south is a good area, as is the creek inlet on the opposite side. Caples south side of the lake and Woods Creek inlet are both good, but so long as you can get to water 10' or deeper, you're in descent shape anywhere on either lake.

If you've got a boat and downriggers, you can troll a crawler dodger rig close to the bottom and usually pick up a few smaller Macks on a regular basis. Key is getting close to the bottom without getting hung up or grass all over stuff. The bottom on Silver is heavily weeded and you need to check gear regularly.

If neither of those are producing, the West Carson is just over the hill. They plant at the bridges and you can work your way down from there.

If those options aren't working, my kids love catching crawdads, and there are plenty in both Silver and Caples. There are also many in the Silver Fork which runs out of Silver Lake. A piece of meat on a hook stuck down in between some larger boulders will draw them out. Then it's a matter of gently pulling them to the surface and netting them, or swinging them onto the bank. Crawdad traps work great too.

It's a beautiful area. Hope you enjoy the trip.

13. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You might want to look at this thread for information, he is usually on point as he fishes there frequently (copy then paste to header)......Jetspray

http://fishsniffer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137703&p=1169900#post1169900
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the trout planting schedule and find some water that was recently planted in the area. Personally never had much luck at Silver but many people do. Fortunately there are a few other lakes very close like Red, Blue, Caples, and the Carson River.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/

16. Likes Jetspray, Captain Compassion liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast