Post Thanks / Like

Re: Summer time finesse fishing

I used to have sole fishing access to a private pond of about two acres. It was fascinating watching the bass quickly learn from their experience. When I first fished it, they would aggressively hit ANYTHING. I mean a twig with hooks twitched on the surface would have generated an immediate explosion. But catch a few fish, release them, and soon none of them would hit the "twig".

Switch to a different lure, action was hot again....but they would learn even quicker. There is absolutely no doubt, that even the fish that weren't caught would still learn from the ones that were. I'm not saying they were "talking"....just that they saw something bad happen when their fellow fish would hit a certain lure....LOL

After a few days of this...they were wise to pretty much everything....and the pond had taken on the characteristics of your standard heavily pressured small pond. I could still catch fish....but it took some effort and was no longer a cakewalk. And it was just my fishing "pressure" that had done it. No one else was fishing it.

The only thing they never "burned out" on was live bait. If I put a small bluegill or minnow or craw or frog or small snake on the hook, they would always hit that. Might be a lesson there for heavily pressured water, but to me live bait is such a PITA that it's not worth it.

I don't think it is the light line or any specific technique that makes a difference in pressured water....but rather just coming up with a way to give the fish an offering they have not seen before. And, that is not easy to do.

Fish, IMHO, are smarter than we sometimes give them credit.
    Last edited by Owlman2; 08-22-2019 at 09:48 AM.

2. Likes salmonid, bigfin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

"Hard bite" in clear water calls for light 4 lb test line in waters that have ben hammered for six months !!
    Ultra light weights and small hooks will up your odds if the wind is not present.

Winds and deeper water call for heavier weights and your percentage will go down on clear waters but
    you will do better than those that have 8-12 pound test on their rigs.

4 lb. test will land a ten pound Bass on quality equipment with a skilled fisherman, if not in hvy. cover.

Summer days can be hard on ripping lips but I try for early am and late pm for the best odds.
    Tight lines.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a drop shot with a robo worm hooked just at the nose. Be very subtle with the action you impart. Use light colors as the sun starts to get higher into the sky. Top water and other baits that displace a lot of water should be saved during first light or night fishing in the summer months, although many people are effective with them it seems like in any condition. A Texas rigged softbait like a pumpkin craw dragged slowly along the bottom works good for me in small lakes and ponds in the summer time. Jigging a small rat l trap also works when the fish are lethargic. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

Summer time finesse fishing

I've been working a local pond with ultra clear water with some finesse techniques to get the lethargic bass to bite during the mid-day summer heat. I've had limited success, only on weightless Texas-rigged Senkos.

What are some other beginner-friendly finesse techniques I can try? The other day I went out and was sight fishing a couple 1-2 lb bass just cruising in front of me in the shade line, but couldn't get them to bite anything. Tried Texas-rigged Senkos, wacky rigged Senkos on a drop shot, white Zoom Fluke Jr on a drop shot, and none of those worked. The fish even swam right by the bait and grazed it with its tail and could not care less.

Just to try out other baits in my box, I tried a spinnerbait and even a topwater pop-r, to no avail. The pop-r at least got the fish to stop and stare for a bit, but no further interest. I need to learn to fish other baits better, so perhaps my technique needs work too. But for now, any tips for some easy, go-to finesse approaches? I picked up some jigheads and will try shaky head with finesse worms next, and will probably try the drop shot again but fish it much slower.
    Always Be Casting! - The mantra of an obsessive angler