Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is 90 hp enough?

[QUOTE=RideNfish;1171031]Thanks Patrick. Do you happen to know what that measurement is from the front of your helm to the anchor cleat above your foot pedal?
    Thanks,

46 inches

2. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by breezin View Post
    Just upgraded from an 18 foot Hewescraft Sportsman that had a 90HP on it. The boat was rated for a max of 115. I can tell you without a doubt that 90 was more than enough for our boat and that was with 4 huge guys overloading it. Never felt under powered.

Anyway, that's just my experience with my particular boat.
    This is true,,,, end of story. Sleep tight.

4. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ppickerell View Post
    Kingfisher bow pics
    IMG_2856 (1).jpg
    Thanks Patrick. Do you happen to know what that measurement is from the front of your helm to the anchor cleat above your foot pedal?
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by breezin View Post
    Just upgraded from an 18 foot Hewescraft Sportsman that had a 90HP on it. The boat was rated for a max of 115. I can tell you without a doubt that 90 was more than enough for our boat and that was with 4 huge guys overloading it. Never felt under powered.

Thanks. Sounds about right with what a seller of the 18' Sportsman told me.

Post Thanks / Like

7. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No- a small motor working harder is just not what you want.

I would look for at least 115, preferably 140-150 on that hull. Its pretty heavy gauge metal,and you want to account for that.

For plugging, I'd look elsewhere. That front are will get cramped quickly and with a windshield you will find it annoying to go in and out the doorway.

Post Thanks / Like

Kingfisher bow pics
    IMG_2856 (1).jpg

10. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    I dont know what the boat weighs but 90hp should be just fine. I had an 18 Alumaweld with a 90hp merc and it pushed the boat just fine. I could do 40 or 41 mph per gps with me and one other person in the boat. With 6 adults and 2 large dogs , 2 ice chests and other stuff in the boat it took a little doing to get up on plane but I was way over the rated weight capacity. With a total of 4 adults plus fishing equipment the boat performed great.
    Its always good to have more horsepower than less but if you really like the boat , and the price is right Id buy it in a second with a 90 hp.
    Be sure to take it for a good test ride and then decide.
    How did you feel about the splash well in the rear with all that weight...? I still get scared when I get a few inches high of water in the motor well....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Is 90 hp enough?

My 17 Alumaweld goes about 35mph max speed with a 75 HP. So I am guessing your 90hp should be around that on a 18.

Planing is not an issue with 4 people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have that same boat, bought it with a 90.

90HP-you and 2 buddy's will have a great time fishing!

115HP-you and 3 of your buddy's with all their gear and your 100# Lab will have a great time fishing!

150HP-Put it on a jackplate, buy a San Leandro pump, Prop in the Delta and lakes, pump for the skinny stuff. It will blow your mind how skinny that boat can get! Leave the prop on and haul cordwood with your Mariner!

I run a Mariner with a 150HP now. Keep looking for a reason to upgrade, I never do....

Joe

15. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoney View Post
    With the right prop that power will be fine.You can prop it to pull 4 fat guys on plane easy but may not be a 40mph boat or you can prop it to get into the 40's and you can eat a sandwich while it gets on plane.Its all about the right prop for what you plan on doing.

With that hull and motor I don't ever see that boat getting to 40. Gear and people you will be cruising in the high 25-27mph in good conditions and maybe low 30s topped out.

17. Likes LineStretcher liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast