Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is 90 hp enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    I don’t know what the boat weighs but 90hp should be just fine. I had an 18’ Alumaweld with a 90hp merc and it pushed the boat just fine. I could do 40 or 41 mph per gps with me and one other person in the boat. With 6 adults and 2 large dogs , 2 ice chests and other stuff in the boat it took a little doing to get up on plane but I was way over the rated weight capacity. With a total of 4 adults plus fishing equipment the boat performed great.
    Its always good to have more horsepower than less but if you really like the boat , and the price is right I’d buy it in a second with a 90 hp.
    Be sure to take it for a good test ride and then decide.
    How did you feel about the splash well in the rear with all that weight...? I still get scared when I get a few inches high of water in the motor well....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Is 90 hp enough?

My 17’ Alumaweld goes about 35mph max speed with a 75 HP. So I am guessing your 90hp should be around that on a 18’.

Planing is not an issue with 4 people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have that same boat, bought it with a 90.

90HP-you and 2 buddy's will have a great time fishing!

115HP-you and 3 of your buddy's with all their gear and your 100# Lab will have a great time fishing!

150HP-Put it on a jackplate, buy a San Leandro pump, Prop in the Delta and lakes, pump for the skinny stuff. It will blow your mind how skinny that boat can get! Leave the prop on and haul cordwood with your Mariner!

I run a Mariner with a 150HP now. Keep looking for a reason to upgrade, I never do....

Joe

5. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoney View Post
    With the right prop that power will be fine.You can prop it to pull 4 fat guys on plane easy but may not be a 40mph boat or you can prop it to get into the 40's and you can eat a sandwich while it gets on plane.Its all about the right prop for what you plan on doing.

With that hull and motor I don't ever see that boat getting to 40. Gear and people you will be cruising in the high 25-27mph in good conditions and maybe low 30s topped out.

7. Likes LineStretcher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought my 18' weldcraft with a 90hp honda and after 3 years I swapped it with a 115 yami. Such a good decision. The 90 will get the job done and since the boat is used I wouldn't let this hold you back from picking it up but a larger motor will make every part of the boat experience better (other than service cost o/c).

9. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With the right prop that power will be fine.You can prop it to pull 4 fat guys on plane easy but may not be a 40mph boat or you can prop it to get into the 40's and you can eat a sandwich while it gets on plane.Its all about the right prop for what you plan on doing.

11. Likes SteelyMan, burninfuel, RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it depends where you are going to mostly fish. If you plan to fish mostly lakes 4000’ and higher then you may want to consider more horsepower. But most of us California guys seldom fish lakes at the higher altitudes. In the last 10 years I can count on one hand the number of times I took my boat above 3000’ and then there was only one or two passengers and it ran great. 99% of the time I fished lakes close to sea level and the delta. So if most of your fishing and boating is valley lakes and delta then you should be just fine with the 90 hp. Occasional trips to lakes like Stampede, Tahoe, Donner etc. 90 hp should serve your purpose.
    The bottom line you need to test drive the boat and then form your opinion.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

13. Likes salmonid, RideNfish, BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me clarify my first post. Yes, a 90 will work just fine. A 115 would be better and if the boat is rated for it, a 150 would be perfection. With the 90, you will notice a significant performance loss at around 4000 ft and above. Combine that loss with you three buddies aboard and you may be dissapointed. You can compensate for some of that with a prop change but it will still be sluggish. I had the 150 on my 20ft KingFisher Discovery and it was impressive at sea level but even that motor at Pyramid (almost 4000ft) was sluggish with 4 aboard. Because of that, I put the 250 on my 22' North River SeaHawk and then had them do the firmware upgrade to make it a 300hp motor. It never lacked power even with a full load and I never needed a second, high altitude prop.

That said, if it's got the 90 on it now, run it and see what it's like. If it works like you want then a second, high altitude prop is a cheap fix for those time when it's needed. If you don't want to change props or you start feeling performance issues compared to similar boats with more power then think about upgrading.

The North River's are great boats but they are heavy compared to most any other aluminum boat out there. The good is that you can't hurt them, the bad is that they sometimes need a little more power than other boats.

15. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wes you beat me to It

http://fishsniffer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137847

see you on Pyramid in October
    Last edited by burninfuel; 08-12-2019 at 02:41 PM.

17. Likes AnglingWes liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just picked up a 2020 Duckworth Advantage Sport 18 w/ a Yamaha 90 last week. Only been on the water for a few hours, but can say that the 90 is plenty.

IMG_0618.jpg

19. Likes RideNfish liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast