Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gerle Creek Reservoir and Twenty Lakes Basin (Yosemite) Help

Quote Originally Posted by yell0wshirt View Post
    Was planning on heading up to Gerle for a day trip this week. I'm planning on bringing my float tube to maybe have some better luck. I have tried fishing from shore before with no luck, but that was earlier in the spring when flows in to the lake were really high and fast. I've heard it's supposed to be a good place to catch brown trout and I know the lake itself isn't planted and I always C&R.
    Anyone have any advice on fishing this lake, especially from a tube? I have set ups for fly and spinning if that helps. I used a lot of Thomas Buoyants for lures as well.

I'm also planning on fishing the 20 Lakes Basin in about a week or so. I found out Saddlebag Lake Resort has been bought by Tioga Pass Resort LLC, so it won't be open until 2020, so that means no more water taxi. I'm planning on doing the 7/8 mile high and possibly camping overnight. I'm looking for Gold, Brown and Cutthroat trout on this trip if possible. Anyone have any tips on fishing these lakes?

Thanks all
    My wife and I did the 20 Lakes Basin loop hike in 2015 and I caught what were either Goldens or Golden-Rainbow hybrid trout in Odell Lake using dry flies that were similar to the abundant mosquitos at that time (June, maybe they will have calmed down a bit by September)

Post Thanks / Like

Drove up to Gerle today to do a little float tube fishing. It was about 48F when I got up there, a bit chilly, but the water conditions were great. No wind, lots of sun, but some shade on the lake in certain areas. Lots of fish jumping due to all the flies that have hatched flying all over the top of the lake.

The bite was tough though. I used spoons and spinners and various flies. I only got one, but one is good enough for me. I brought it in with a parachute adams fly. They were still jumping when I left, I think fishing will still be great here for a few more weeks. This Brown was also released.

IMG_6982.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve fished Gerle several times and had luck with 1/8 oz Kastmasters and Z-rays. I’ve had better luck before the sun hits the water or after it drops.

I’m not a fly guy, but a buddy swears by Stillwater nymphs close to the bottom.

Good luck

4. Likes yell0wshirt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When we used to go camping a lot at Gerle the bait crickets or orange and brown power bait from the pier. If float tubing go early in the am or after 4 pm.
    In the main body it gets windy and the water is cold . I had 5 mil waders and my legs could feel the cold. If you look to your right when you get to the water you will see goose island . Take the walk around almost to the dam there is some deep holes there .
    Good luck and watch out for the bears .
    Born to fish and hunt !! forced to work

6. Likes yell0wshirt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Gerle Creek Reservoir and Twenty Lakes Basin (Yosemite) Help

Quote Originally Posted by yell0wshirt View Post
    Was planning on heading up to Gerle for a day trip this week. I'm planning on bringing my float tube to maybe have some better luck. I have tried fishing from shore before with no luck, but that was earlier in the spring when flows in to the lake were really high and fast. I've heard it's supposed to be a good place to catch brown trout and I know the lake itself isn't planted and I always C&R.
    Anyone have any advice on fishing this lake, especially from a tube? I have set ups for fly and spinning if that helps. I used a lot of Thomas Buoyants for lures as well.

I'm also planning on fishing the 20 Lakes Basin in about a week or so. I found out Saddlebag Lake Resort has been bought by Tioga Pass Resort LLC, so it won't be open until 2020, so that means no more water taxi. I'm planning on doing the 7/8 mile high and possibly camping overnight. I'm looking for Gold, Brown and Cutthroat trout on this trip if possible. Anyone have any tips on fishing these lakes?

Thanks all
    Shucks, if you could make it a week from yesterday, I'd be there. Going to French Meadows for the weekend, but Gerle Creek Mon-Thu. If you can come a wee bit later, we could tube together, I have a Garmin Striker 4 to find the elusive brown trout of Gerle Creek Reservoir!!! I am totally C&R equipped...
    Last edited by Old_Man; 08-13-2019 at 08:24 AM.

8. Likes yell0wshirt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gerle Creek Reservoir and Twenty Lakes Basin (Yosemite) Help

Thanks all