Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooler water

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cooler water

The state at the end of the day will do what is best for everyone's pockets. Even if water releases are supposedly given by a conservative it's already been proven California will do the opposite to rebel against the president as noted with the waste of OUR money for the 40+ lawsuit's against his administration. It goes both ways however, Trump wants to support farmers therefore calling for increased water to them & ignoring choosing any fish species over people making a living, that's where most of Californias money comes from agriculture we know that. Now you got the other side saying they want to help fish like Salmon but yet think a tunnel or tunnels to send our water down south to the wealthy is a way to help both causes but we all know that's a bad idea. Honestly as much as I love fishing I can see both views. So if I'm a farmer water is your money maker without it you are screwed. What I don't like is people in charge creating an alternative excuse to allocate water by blaming Striped Bass & calling for there & many more species removal when they've prob never picked up a fishing rod in there life. At the end of the day we do what we love and fish & powerful people decide our future fate of either better or worse fisheries that is decided by how to keep there pockets rich, all politics.

2. Likes honksrworkn liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honksrworkn View Post
    The DWR suck they control these fish with the flows and I have my theory as to why but for No apparent reason they decided to drop the flows on the Sac from around 8k down to 6k .... Temps went up 5 degrees were I fish ...

They have the Feather low flow pumping cold water to pull the fish straight to the closed zone ... That's why the Outlet is still so slow ...a buddy says the Low flow closed area is stacked with fish ....
    I have zero trust for anything run by Liberals especially government ... When they can do you wrong ....they will ...it's what they do ...
    DWR may suck. And I would find it interesting to know just what your conspiracy theory is about DWR controlling fish and their motivations.
    But from your post it appears that you don't know or understand who or what controls the flows you are complaining about on the Sac. The Sac flows from Shasta, Whiskeytown and Folsom are all controlled by the Bureau of Reclamation (the FEDS). The current Secretary of the Interior (the boss) is a Trump appointee and definitely NOT a liberal. But you may be right. He could SUCK too.
    Only Oroville on the Feather is controlled by DWR. The water released to the afterbay/forebay is (as has been pointed out) used for ag (ie rice) and is allowed to warm up so it is of benefit for that purpose where it is transported to. The other Oroville release is colder water to help the fish. But apparently that is bad too?
    Keep in mind that neither the Bureau or DWR decide how much water to release and what temperature for salmon. The flows and temps requirements are put on them both by the FEDS-- the National Marine Fisheries Service. Perhaps NMFS is part of the "Deep State" (maybe this is part of your "theory"?), but to my knowledge, every environmental agency in the federal government is being run by a conservative appointee at the very top. So maybe we should look critically on government, liberal or conservative, and ask questions and want the truth.

4. Likes IronClad, Bankie, zipperman, RideNfish, Spinner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I fish the lower river and have caught fish in 73 degree water (71 right now). When the water is this warm, fish speed through and donít usually slow down until they hit 66-68 degree water. When the water cools down a few degrees, the fish donít rush and seem to now take their time. Plus, more fish enter the system as the water cools, improving the odds of success for anglers.

Catching a salmon in August should be seen as a early Christmas gift....you know the big day is coming and someone sent you a present.

6. Likes Bankie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For some, everything is a political issue. He was merely asking where the cooler water started. Hope we can keep this forum on enjoyable issues, IE salmon FISHING.
    Fisher of men first, fisher of fish second.

8. Likes Bankie, zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honksrworkn View Post
    The DWR suck they control these fish with the flows and I have my theory as to why but for No apparent reason they decided to drop the flows on the Sac from around 8k down to 6k .... Temps went up 5 degrees were I fish ...

They have the Feather low flow pumping cold water to pull the fish straight to the closed zone ... That's why the Outlet is still so slow ...a buddy says the Low flow closed area is stacked with fish ....
    I have zero trust for anything run by Liberals especially government ... When they can do you wrong ....they will ...it's what they do ...

"The DWR suck..."

Yet another highly informed and articulate opinion from the old Honkster....
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 08-26-2019 at 08:37 AM.

10. Likes Jfitalia liked this post
    Dislikes zipperman disliked this post
    STICK N FISH&FOLD N FOWL honksrworkn's Avatar
    No Cal .... Between the Sac and Feather ..
    Post Thanks / Like

12. Likes zipperman liked this post
    Dislikes Jfitalia disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure the information helps all that much but hopefully tempers expectations. Any day on the water is a good one and I believe there is a salmon in the system 365 days a year (reg closures aside). There just arenít thousands every day.

If success is quick limits, only fish the peak periods. If success is a good day on the water and a nice fish every so often, get out there every chance you get. Only day I guarantee you wonít catch one is the day youíre not out there.

14. Likes kawaiii3oi, SteelyMan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Itís early in the season. Fish are moving through the system and yes they like to find cooler water to hold up in if itís available. Itís been that way since the dams went in. Temperature gates (allows cooler water to be released from deeper in the lake) went in on Shasta about 20 years ago and a thermal curtain was also put in Whiskey Town for the same reason, and thereís actually more cool water available high in the system (Corning and above) because of it. Oroville has a big cold water pool, but they divert a portion of its outflow to the forebay/afterbay to warm it up for agriculture irrigation needs. The stretch of river between the afterbay outlet and the hatchery hold colder flows and frequently draws fish to the cooler water.

If you can get in front of a good group of fish moving through it can be good. If not itís one here and there. Later in the season more American River fish start to move in and there are typically more fish lower in the system. Sac and Feather runs increase in numbers too. Much of the best fishing of the year is October and November. Only down side is they can be darker fish (not all of them). Thereís also a small run of big fish that come up the Sac late in the year. Few but typically the biggest fish of the year and generally bright.

I sometimes look through prior year reports to get some perspective, and youíll see trends. Just my observations.
    Thank you sir....just what one needs.

Post Thanks / Like

Itís early in the season. Fish are moving through the system and yes they like to find cooler water to hold up in if itís available. Itís been that way since the dams went in. Temperature gates (allows cooler water to be released from deeper in the lake) went in on Shasta about 20 years ago and a thermal curtain was also put in Whiskey Town for the same reason, and thereís actually more cool water available high in the system (Corning and above) because of it. Oroville has a big cold water pool, but they divert a portion of its outflow to the forebay/afterbay to warm it up for agriculture irrigation needs. The stretch of river between the afterbay outlet and the hatchery hold colder flows and frequently draws fish to the cooler water.

If you can get in front of a good group of fish moving through it can be good. If not itís one here and there. Later in the season more American River fish start to move in and there are typically more fish lower in the system. Sac and Feather runs increase in numbers too. Much of the best fishing of the year is October and November. Only down side is they can be darker fish (not all of them). Thereís also a small run of big fish that come up the Sac late in the year. Few but typically the biggest fish of the year and generally bright.

I sometimes look through prior year reports to get some perspective, and youíll see trends. Just my observations.

17. Likes kawaiii3oi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, need to go to woodson bridge and above
    Fisher of men first, fisher of fish second.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast