Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trolling question

The stacker clips like you have will work fine on cable.

They will also work just above the downrigger weight if it doesn't have an attachment point for the line release ie; stick/broom weights or Shark Cannonballs.

If you switch from cable to braid on your downriggers they might (I said might) slip unless you place rubber stops or bobber stops on the braid to hold the stacker clips in place.

+1 on what Robbie said.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, they will work just fine. I go no closer than 10' when stacking. Some guys do longer set backs on the bottom, but i do the shortest on the bottom... Keep using them downriggers. You will find you can use them all year long. Good Luck Robbie

3. Likes TrackerDV17 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the stacker clips like that. I have several with different clips.

I like putting them several feet above the ball, less of a chance of loosing gear. I will see the ball start dragging on the bottom before snagging my gear.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for the info, seeing is i have a cannon downrigger I saw these releases that grip right on to the cable (See below). So I could put one normal snap release on to that main downrigger ball. then say 1oft up attached these greip releases right to the cable correct.

Dumb question. These grip releases that you see below, say Scotty, but mine is a Cannon. That should not matter in this case should it? I would think the cables are probably the same diameter and they should still hold the cable nice and tight and not move up or down.

Sincerely,

Andy "Bub" Simmons

" I Love the smell of Powerbait in the morning"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bub1931 View Post
    I needs to apologize, I actually have 2 downriggers (Cannon manual), I just dont use them enough to where I can do all this stacking technique. Just not comfortable enough at using them.

Only used them a couple times when i did use them I only hooked 1 rod to each downrigger, but still had another rod I need to get down to 20 or 30 ft or so.

Thanks again for all the info I hope I didnt upset anyone for not coming forward saying I have a downrigger just dont use it.
    You might want to try some shuttle hawks, I use them all the time. You set the depth of your trolling weight, hook the line to the shuttle hawk and hold it up while you move and it drops down to the depth of the weight while you let the line out as it drops. Takes a little getting used to but you don't have to crank up the weight all the time...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

I needs to apologize, I actually have 2 downriggers (Cannon manual), I just dont use them enough to where I can do all this stacking technique. Just not comfortable enough at using them.

Only used them a couple times when i did use them I only hooked 1 rod to each downrigger, but still had another rod I need to get down to 20 or 30 ft or so.

Thanks again for all the info I hope I didnt upset anyone for not coming forward saying I have a downrigger just dont use it.
    Sincerely,

Andy "Bub" Simmons

" I Love the smell of Powerbait in the morning"

8. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This year I did a 3 oz. weight with a set back of 45 feet at 1.4 mph to get to around 28-30 feet......
    to catch kok's at 29 feet on the screen.. for my non-D/R rod.

5oz. at Pyramid at .9 will get you to around 45 feet.............

Still learning.

10. Likes Jetspray, Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would use lead core line.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

12. Likes Jetspray, Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Trolling question

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    You could be anywhere between 5-40’ deep depending on speed. With weights or leadcore, speed determines your depth, with all other things equal. Faster=shallower, slower=deeper.

Inline, banana, 3-way and snap weights all work and are easy to use. Lots of depth charts online will give you a pretty good idea about how much weight, line out and at what speed you need to achieve to get the depth you want. 1oz, 100’ out at 1mph should hit 18-22’. Just be carefully letting out without stopping the line every 15-20’—weight will drop straight down, possibly getting stuck on the bottom.

Leadcore is another great option. 3 colors at 1mph will get you about 20’. Unlike the weights, leadcore drops slower and will follow the path of the boat—very useful when trolling depth contours or drop offs.

Suggestion: if fishing suspended fish or smooth sandy bottoms, use weights. If fishing structure, use leadcore. Short term use, weights. Dedicated trolling setup, leadcore.

Or just make life easy and buy downriggers 😜
    I usually carry all of the stuff, with linecounter reels, and downriggers, and scope. But the more you buy the more you are hooked...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

14. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For 30' or less the answer is lead core.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

16. Likes Jetspray, Prettyman01 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast