Post Thanks / Like

Re: Oil bath bearings on EZ Loader

Quote Originally Posted by BDuck View Post
    My previous boat I converted to oil bath with an aftermarket kit by Kodiak. It worked good but when it came to changing the oil the threads on the plastic blue cap separated and had to replace the caps.
    My now boat trailer, an EZ Loader double axle, I had a bearing buddy cap to come off after replacing all of the bearings before I got to the lake. I found that after knocking off the buddies changes their roundness when reinserting them. My fix on that was to take a center punch and ding inner parts of bearing buddy where it inserts in hub in a triangle and this will allow buddy to insert with a snug fit.
    My research of EZ Loader oil bath conversion was going to get quite spendy sense my trailer had seen a lot of salt water use and axles have signs of corrosion, probable axle replacement. However, with oil bath metal caps my suggestion would be putting a dab of oil resistant Loctite on the threads.
    I agree with the Loctite.

Post Thanks / Like

My previous boat I converted to oil bath with an aftermarket kit by Kodiak. It worked good but when it came to changing the oil the threads on the plastic blue cap separated and had to replace the caps.
    My now boat trailer, an EZ Loader double axle, I had a bearing buddy cap to come off after replacing all of the bearings before I got to the lake. I found that after knocking off the buddies changes their roundness when reinserting them. My fix on that was to take a center punch and ding inner parts of bearing buddy where it inserts in hub in a triangle and this will allow buddy to insert with a snug fit.
    My research of EZ Loader oil bath conversion was going to get quite spendy sense my trailer had seen a lot of salt water use and axles have signs of corrosion, probable axle replacement. However, with oil bath metal caps my suggestion would be putting a dab of oil resistant Loctite on the threads.
    2000 F250 Diesel
    2007 Columbia Fisherman 2018XL Yamaha F150 Yamaha 9.9 Kicker Raymarine Element HV9 4 Electric Walker Downriggers

Post Thanks / Like

My previous boat had an oil bath bearings and I ordered extra seals in case of leaks. Have since solc the boat and trailer but still have two or three seals LOL.
    Last edited by Seon; 09-06-2019 at 05:39 AM.
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

Oil bath bearings on EZ Loader

Thought I'd share recent experience....Got home from Bodega Bay last week and immediately noticed left side forward bearing cap had fallen off and oil was draining out of axle. It's a tandem axle EZ Loader trailer with oil bath bearings. Ordered two replacement caps, one for a spare from EZ Loader (their standard shipping is slow). Also bought a 2 3/8" axle nut socket from Amazon for $12. Bearings and seal were fine, so it didn't run long with the cap off. Checked all caps for tightness, and the trailing axle on left side was loose as well, but not leaking. Lesson learned: carry a spare cap with spare oil and necessary tools, and regularly check caps for tightness.

5. Likes C U FISHING, Katch, SteelyMan, jjb liked this post