Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Success on the Sac

I use a treble up front where it lays against the lure body and a single hook out the back end. I don't have a lot of experience but all my fish have been hooked with the single hook in the mouth but have had the treble hook end up hooking them on the outside of the mouth. There was no way that fish was going to spit both those hooks that way. I may go single single this year though. I like not using trebles.

Post Thanks / Like

The single hook method with the egg loop knot is the method that I use, along with a flasher release on 11" pro troll flashers. I also use 8" flashers without a flasher release. I use 4/0 Owner needlepoint hooks, barbless in ocean, barbed in river. I lose far fewer fish after hook-up with this method. Mark1's diagram is the way to go imho.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhound1 View Post
    I got a late start on Friday but launched out of Verona at 645. There were lots of boats so I decided to drive down river to another spot I know. Got the anchor set and put on a purple frog with a 11" Chrome pro troll flasher stuffed with tuna. On the other rod I put the same setup with a blue colored plug. Time to wait. At about 845, Bam, The purple frog got hit. Fish on! I grabbed the Rod and and started reeling. The fished jumped and he was gone. there were scales on the hook. Well crap. Restuffed and back out it went. about 20 minuets later the purple frog got hit agian. This time it felt like a big one! a couple of reels and he was gone. What am I doing wrong. Stuffed it again and also changed the other rod to purple frog. 10 minuets later I was on the phone with another sniffer and the same side is on agian. I yelled fish on and dropped my phone on the floor and grabbed the rod. A few minuets later I netted a 13lb Hen. As I was reaching for my bat to hit it, the other rod began to pump. I grabbed it and Thought what now the other fish is on the floor in the net. I reeled for a bit and fish off. At about 11am the water became muddy and the bite became nonexistent. I talked to one of the local guides and he said they had been doing pretty good on the feather lately. Off the water by 2pm. So everything was hooked and caught on a Brads cut plug, Purple frog color stuffed with tuna, 36" leader to an 11" chrome pro troll flasher, with angled fin on the back to make it spin, 36" leader to a 3 way spliter with 2ft drop 3oz wight 50-60 back drop. Ill post pictures of the way I rig my plugs.
    Here's some other ideas I found on a forum on Brad's about changing to single hooks if you want to try. I'm no expert on this.

Q...Curious about the hook ups on these lures, I haven't used them. Does the trailing hook usually get the set? It looks like the belly treble hook lays really close to the plug and maybe isnt all that effective?

1. No trebles. Double single hook set up. Leave the back hook swinging free with the eye of the hook about 1/4" behind the tail of the lure. Normally the back hook will be the only hook in the fish but I have had both hooks hooked in the fishes mouth also. For me, two hooks are always better than one.

2. Yes....I would recommend you re-tie the entire rig, especially the factory hook. The newer bead chains (cylindrical-shaped beads) on the rigs are pretty good, so I re-use those.....everything else gets tossed. I re-tie with two single 4/0 Gami's about an inch apart and seven 4mm beads above the top hook to make sure the hook is extended beyond the end of the lure. I then run the tag end through the lure and tie a bead chain or barrel swivel to the end. Just one of many ways to rig them up.....

3. That is exactly how I do it too

4. Here is my new go to method for hook rigging....

Last edited by Mark1; 09-08-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishhound1 View Post
    Pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Try this 2 single hook rig... Seems to keep them buttoned up... Gamakatsu Big River 3/0 or 4/0

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    " Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it ". - Norman Maclean.

5. Likes BigUnInDaBoat, RideNfish, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wparrish View Post
    What kind of rods do you use?

My personal preference is an ugly stick 9ft extra heavy. They have be a great rod for me, very durable and very cost friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Likes SteelyMan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What kind of rods do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fish4u View Post
    Does anyone know if the river has cleared up in the Freeport area?
    Not sure but it looks like chocolate milk off garden highway

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbfishing View Post
    The reason the water got muddy there was a huge cave in on bank up on the feather river with the higher flows the water went up from 7,500 to 8,500 and a huge part of the bank collapse so there's where the muddy water coming from FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does anyone know if the river has cleared up in the Freeport area?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dbfishing View Post
    The reason the water got muddy there was a huge cave in on bank up on the feather river with the higher flows the water went up from 7,500 to 8,500 and a huge part of the bank collapse so there's where the muddy water coming from FISH ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The rumor I heard was that it was a side rap-dam that gave way. I could not verify that though.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I hope it clears up soon. I want some more.

13. Likes photomonkey, Paintguy liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast