Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transom Height

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Transom Height

Quote Originally Posted by RideNfish View Post
    Thank you for doing that Seon. I have an over the phone handshake on a boat in OR. Will pick up mid week.

C'mon Doug what did you get?

2. Likes redneckpunk liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Transom Height

I have had my boat on the ocean before and I sure would like as much transom as I could get. I do have a sump pump on board and would cycle it to make sure I did not have much in the bilge. For me whatever you choose make sure you have a bilge pump, I'm just sayin'........Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

4. Likes redneckpunk, Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personal preference in my book. Had my old Fishrite out of Fort Bragg and had a wave smack the transom for a cold bath, and that didn’t have a transom cutout at all. You even see big offshore tournament boats swamp backing down of billfish. Flip side is 12’ tin cans fish the salt regularly in different places.

Not suggesting anyone would do that on purpose but it makes the point that no matter how big, there are days to stay home, and lesser boats have their days in the sun. Just a matter of how much you’re comfortable spending for peace of mind on those days in-between.

or, Go Big Or Go Home, you only live once!!!!!!!

Happy boat hunting

6. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Personal preference in my book. Had my old Fishrite out of Fort Bragg and had a wave smack the transom for a cold bath, and that didn’t have a transom cutout at all. You even see big offshore tournament boats swamp backing down of billfish. Flip side is 12’ tin cans fish the salt regularly in different places.

Not suggesting anyone would do that on purpose but it makes the point that no matter how big, there are days to stay home, and lesser boats have their days in the sun. Just a matter of how much you’re comfortable spending for peace of mind on those days in-between.

or, Go Big Or Go Home, you only live once!!!!!!!

Happy boat hunting

8. Likes Jetspray, Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My 20ft Gregor eagle has a 20 inch transom. I fish the Delta, Bay, and Ocean and also Pyramid Lake which can get super bad. I have never had any issues or felt the need for a 25 inch transom. Water does come in and out of the splash well but it's designed to do so.

So tell us more on this Oregon Boat. ;)
    2017, 20ft Gregor Eagle, 100hp Honda, 9.9 Honda, 80 lb Riptide, 4 Scotty 1106's

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 17 foot Lund with a 20 inch transom and as long as you know how to handle yourself in rough water it’s fine. I’ve been out fishing for halibut all over the bay and have taken some pretty big waves. A pretty big experience that I just had though was on the Delta last weekend. I’ve never taken for waves over the bow of the boat in the bay before. I never thought it could get that rough out on the dwc and my 16 foot Tracker almost sunk with a crew of four on board.
    The good thing was that I built the Lund for big water and my 1800 gallon per hour automatic bilge pump had no trouble keeping up with the water that would come aboard so I felt confident and taking on any responsibility that might arise from my following tracker boat. Both have 20inch transoms, and both made it back to the dock ultimately. The smaller Tracker with a lot more water but we made it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Likes Jetspray, Trickytrucker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=jjb;1171843]That bayrunner is bad ***

20" is OK provided there is a secondary transom gunwale height

14. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That bayrunner is bad ***

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Grats. Keep us posted.
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

18. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for doing that Seon. I have an over the phone handshake on a boat in OR. Will pick up mid week.

20. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast