Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Landlocked steelhead in thermalito afterbay

We went up there a couple days ago lots of weeds in the water but we were able to land 4 fat nice steelhead trolling gulp killer crawlers behind a dodger. It’s about 25’ on average from the ramp at Wilbur all the way to the 99 rock wall lots of weeds just have to troll around the patches as much as possible. E15EF7B7-1327-4191-82F5-F2AD01EF269D.jpg4A5E1159-2C47-43F1-AF31-8B197D519483.jpg

2. Likes Chris Wigaard liked this post
    STICK N FISH&FOLD N FOWL honksrworkn's Avatar
    No Cal .... Between the Sac and Feather ..
    Post Thanks / Like

The Steelhead in the Afterbay must be kinda tuff I never see guys trolling for them and the catches I hear of are blind luck .... at least trolling .... When they're biting , people are lined up along the canal of the N side of the Afterbay off Wilber rd ....
    Bout 3 yrs ago when I first moved up here I drove up to the flowing water by one of the gates were I knew I'd find Steelhead , unfortunately I quickly found out they don't let you fish where the majority of fish are .... Because a guy drove over and kicked me out before I got my line in the water ... He said yeah it's a dang good spot but its closed to the public (for no good reason) I don't like trout fishing sitting in a chair waiting for a bite .... So I said forget it .... They also planted 100k kings last year , maybe yr before don't know if they're catching them or not .... My bet is they went down the Feather .... That's about it for Steelhead in the afterbay from what I know mostly like your experience ... stumbled on them , and couldn't find them again trolling anyhow .... you won't catch them from the couch so you may as well give it a shot ...
    Good fish N to ya

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seaohh View Post
    I thought I’d read that they also release the spawned out hatchery fish there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know they give spawned out meat, if its OK to eat, to shelters, etc.
    Fisher of men first, fisher of fish second.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I’d read that they also release the spawned out hatchery fish there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishinJeeper View Post
    Your not being a smart ass. I was just assuming that since we were referring to Steelhead, we were talking about rainbows that migrate to the Ocean, not fresh water rainbows....

congrats on 1,200 posts!

I’m with you. Wish I knew a little bit more about hatchery broodstock practices. My understanding is the “Rainbows” used for typical truck trout are selected from growth rate and some specific qualities (aka Eagle Lake trout propensity to feed on fish vs bugs etc.).

What they put in the afterbay didn’t come from normal broodstock, but eggs collected from searun steelhead at the Oroville hatchery. When they have an excess of those eggs, they’ve occasionally put them in the afterbay. So, genetically they’re a little different and tend to get bigger and fight better than the typical broodstock fish. But because they’re planted in a non-anadromous water (no unobstructed route to and from the ocean), they’re considered rainbows for regulation purposes.

Then again I’m full of crap at least half the time so take it for what it’s worth.

Post Thanks / Like

I know they planted well over 100,000 steelhead over the last year, so it should be good soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    Handy website. The afterbay is not an anadromous water. Two dams between it and the river, with no fish ladder. Not being a smart-a##, just been down that discussion road several times before. It's a complex and unusual situation, so it's easy to confuse the regs.
    Your not being a smart ass. I was just assuming that since we were referring to Steelhead, we were talking about rainbows that migrate to the Ocean, not fresh water rainbows....

congrats on 1,200 posts!
    Captain of the Little Liberator.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishinJeeper View Post
    Go to this site. https://apps.wildlife.ca.gov/sportfi.../#skip-to-regs, its a map, click on the area, and it will pull up the regulations for that area.

STEELHEAD FISHING REPORT AND RESTORATION CARD: Anglers must have a nontransferable Steelhead Fishing Report and Restoration Card issued by the department in their possession while fishing for steelhead trout in anadromous waters. For purposes of this regulation, a steelhead trout is defined as any rainbow trout greater than 16 inches in length found in anadromous waters. Anglers must record, with a ball point pen, the month, day, location fished, number of steelhead caught and kept, and number of steelhead caught and released. Month, day and location must be recorded EVEN IF NO STEELHEAD WERE CAUGHT. A report-restoration card shall be valid for the calendar year. When the card is completely filled-in, a person may purchase another card. Anglers are required by law to return Steelhead Fishing Report and Restoration cards to the Department of Fish and Wildlife by January 31 of the year following the card expiration. Example: 2018 cards are to be returned by January 31, 2019.
    card.

Handy website. The afterbay is not an anadromous water. Two dams between it and the river, with no fish ladder. Not being a smart-a##, just been down that discussion road several times before. It's a complex and unusual situation, so it's easy to confuse the regs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorJet31 View Post
    Can someone give me some info on that afterbay where they plant the steelhead. I know that place is good for bass fishing with the shallow depths but years ago me and a buddy caught some nice steelhead trolling spoons not knowing wth we were doing. I’m wanting to take my dad up there but I don’t see much if any info on it.
    Has anyone been fishing it and do you need a card since they are landlocked?
    thanks
    Go to this site. https://apps.wildlife.ca.gov/sportfi.../#skip-to-regs, its a map, click on the area, and it will pull up the regulations for that area.

STEELHEAD FISHING REPORT AND RESTORATION CARD: Anglers must have a nontransferable Steelhead Fishing Report and Restoration Card issued by the department in their possession while fishing for steelhead trout in anadromous waters. For purposes of this regulation, a steelhead trout is defined as any rainbow trout greater than 16 inches in length found in anadromous waters. Anglers must record, with a ball point pen, the month, day, location fished, number of steelhead caught and kept, and number of steelhead caught and released. Month, day and location must be recorded EVEN IF NO STEELHEAD WERE CAUGHT. A report-restoration card shall be valid for the calendar year. When the card is completely filled-in, a person may purchase another card. Anglers are required by law to return Steelhead Fishing Report and Restoration cards to the Department of Fish and Wildlife by January 31 of the year following the card expiration. Example: 2018 cards are to be returned by January 31, 2019.
    card.
    Captain of the Little Liberator.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorJet31 View Post
    Can someone give me some info on that afterbay where they plant the steelhead. I know that place is good for bass fishing with the shallow depths but years ago me and a buddy caught some nice steelhead trolling spoons not knowing wth we were doing. I’m wanting to take my dad up there but I don’t see much if any info on it.
    Has anyone been fishing it and do you need a card since they are landlocked?
    thanks

Haven't fished it in a long time, so can't say how they've taken with the recent plants, but similar plants from the past created some very nice fish. They're classified as trout for F&W regulation purposes based on there location, so no punch card required.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast