Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hike to Lower Kinney

Update: Caltrans will have Highway 4 closed Tuesday and Wednesday of this week (Sept 24, 25) From just east end of Lake Alpine to the gate at Raymond Meadows - effectively nixing a hike into Lower Kinney for me this week. I am so grateful for the time the Fish Sniffer online community takes to share your experiences and expertise with all of us. Don't know when I will be able to get up to the "Kinneys" for a hike/fish, but I will post a report when I can make the trip happen. Thanks again for the help and advice!

Post Thanks / Like

I've hiked to Lower a few times in the past few years and other than giant Lahontan Redside minnows, I've never seen/caught a thing. I think they stopped stocking and there is no spawning habitat.

3. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RideNfish View Post
    I have done the hike to both. Not bad and as stated, if you take your time the altitude isn't a big deal. I live in Modesto (60' elev) and am no where near in shape. We didn't catch anything at either lake that day but even my favorite lakes throw out skunks for all when they feel like it. :)
    I live near 5,000' even so 9,000+ like Kenney means I have to stop occasionally.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

5. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done the hike to both. Not bad and as stated, if you take your time the altitude isn't a big deal. I live in Modesto (60' elev) and am no where near in shape. We didn't catch anything at either lake that day but even my favorite lakes throw out skunks for all when they feel like it. :)

7. Likes Captain Compassion, Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kinda off topic but if you are an old scouter from camp Silverado you should connect with the current nonprofit, "friends of camp Silverado."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

There’s an old road from Kinney Reservoir to the lower lake. Pretty easy hike, just take your time. It’s a long drive for a couple lakes with few fish, but it’s beautiful country, so set expectations accordingly.

10. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Compassion View Post
    Hiked to Lower Kenny once. I was 10 years younger. The hike wasn't all that bad but the fishing sucked.

CC

This is my experience too, one fish on the first cast (a lahontan), and that was it. Kinney by the highway has way better fishing.

12. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don - Nevada View Post
    Like MKE, I have been to Lower and Upper a number of times in the past.

The best fishing success was at Lower on the left side from shore with lures.
    Wow. Less than 12 hours: three tag-backs! Thanks you for the info and encouragement. I am going to roust my old fishin' buddy to get up there for a hike. Love the Sierras in the fall. I just need to slow my pace to allow for the thin air (and the aging fishermen!) I promise to post a report - skunk or fish - when we get up there.

14. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like MKE, I have been to Lower and Upper a number of times in the past.

The best fishing success was at Lower on the left side from shore with lures.

16. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've made the hike to both upper and lower Kinney many times. The hike is supper easy to both. The fishing can be good one day and off the next. I have only done fly fishing at those lakes so maybe an inflated night crawler would be the ticket if they're not eating flies or lures.

18. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast