Post Thanks / Like

Re: new non-lead ammo

7 mag 140 grain Trophy Copper. First copper bullet I have found in a big game animal.
    Looks like it did exactly what I want a bullet to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes zipperman, burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I fired one round and dropped one buck. While he didn't drop stone dead, neither have the bucks I've shot with lead. He went less than 25 yards. Barnes Vor-TX 139g in 7mm Rem mag

4. Likes burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seaduck View Post
    going to looking at maybe a different bullet and then will be looking to try head and or neck shots to minimize any meat loss
    By all means try a different bullet but forgo the head and neck shots. Both are small vital targets and you risk wounding them. A buck deserves better and who wants a broken rack?

Both Barnes and Hornady GMXs work fine if you know where to place your shots.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. Likes BigUnInDaBoat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Most of the complaints I read about are the exact opposite of what you guys experienced. Most hunters that are unhappy with bullet performance say the solid copper did not expand enough so the animals traveled further than expected. My personal experience has been good so far. I changed to copper loads about 5 years ago. I shoot a 7 mag and use 140 grain Trophy Copper by Federal. I have taken deer from 75 yards to 300 yards with this load. I never felt there was much difference in the performance between this load and the conventional bullets I used to shoot. Others who have hunted with me prefer Barnes or GMX and so far there have been very few complaints.

8. Likes BigUnInDaBoat, zipperman, muledeer12 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think few hunters really know much about the ballistics of the new non lead hunting ammo. I think the new non lead is going to cause more misses and more wounding and crippling of game at least until we get use to it and learn about it. I didn’t think about the possibility of it destroying meat. That is very bad. I’d like to hear others experience with tithing new non lead crap.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

new non-lead ammo

had a good opening weekend in B zone on private land 3 of us each got a nice one the issue was all three had a lot of damage done by the new ammo one was hit in the neck (270 nosler 130gr) and the head was almost completely cut clean off once skinned it did just drop off, second one hit front shoulder (25-06 barns 110gr) both front shoulders were completely destroyed third one hit a little behind front shoulder took out half of the ribs on entrance and front shoulder on exit (308 nosler 130gr) we have taken quite few deer but have never seen this type of damage done by a bullet what has any one else found with this new ammo. going to looking at maybe a different bullet and then will be looking to try head and or neck shots to minimize any meat loss

11. Likes burninfuel liked this post