Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crabbing 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crabbing 2019

Quote Originally Posted by redrumfish View Post
    .... Why do you guys let them sit so long?
    I leave mine thru-out November then return and a pull with different crew for their limits.

Multi day soak yield this and more.

Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    .. . I think if the DFW is helpless to stop it,
    I've never seen them in a boat during crab season.
    They're not helpless because there's no money checking buoy against fishing license numbers. Money is at the ramps checking for undersized, over limits and/or no fishing license citations.
    Last edited by Seon; 10-09-2019 at 04:46 AM.
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

I will most likely avoid opening day, but I will definitely be out there, pot poachers be damned. Last year they found most of my pots but I still managed to hit my limits. I will also be dropping a shrimp pot for the first time to see how that goes.

It's a shame that hardly anyone follows the fisherman's code and there are scumbags out there raiding pots and leaving beer cans. I think if the DFW is helpless to stop it, we honest fisherman have to look out for each other's gear. I will most definitely be dropping in and calling out any suspicious activity while I am out on the water this year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by C U FISHING View Post
    ... Last year we didn’t get much and top it off lost 2 brand new setup ($300 ) MIA. Wish all good luck and cross our fingers for good weather.

If I remember right, you dropped in or near the Estero? If so you should drop further out and away from areas that are not heavily populated with pots. Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Will be camping at Doran again this year for the opening. Hope this year will be better than last year. Last year we didn’t get much and top it off lost 2 brand new setup ($300 ) MIA. Wish all good luck and cross our fingers for good weather.

Post Thanks / Like

Going to tomales for the third year. Usually pull the pots every hour or so. Move them if needed. Why do you guys let them sit so long?

6. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I plan on going out of hmb for the opener. The poachers there are horrible. Someone said last year that they pulled their pots and had no crab but did have an empty beer can.
    We plan on going to bodega over Thanksgiving. Staying at the rv park. Should be fun

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Plan on going outa bodega opening week probably Tuesday/ Wednesday

Post Thanks / Like

Not dropping on opening day but will during the opening week, WX permitting. my plan is to drop,go Rockfishing for 3-4hrs then pull a trap or two, enough for a meal.
    I'll rebait and let the traps soak for a couple of days then bring a crew out to harvest.

Last seasons pics

BTW it appears that not many on Sniffer go crabbing .

Post Thanks / Like

Veteran of the Bodega opener for 25 years, I now avoid it like the plague. I’m camping at Doran m-f and it is much more pleasant and relaxing. Hit me up if you see me, I have been following your posts for a few. 18’ silver/blue Alumaweld intruder.

12. Likes Seon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBoardfox View Post
    ... The real problem with crabbing these days are poachers. out of our 7 traps usually we have two that have been poached every trip.
    DB
    On my first year of crabbing, I lost 5 of 9 brand new traps with rope, weights and buoys. Since then I've dropped further from the launch ramps and away from rockfishing route and haven't lost a trap but have had traps raided.

This year I plan to drop in deeper waters and hopefully eliminate or at least minimize being raided.

14. Likes DBoardfox liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast