Thread: Moke 10-5

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Moke 10-5

well lets not forget the flows are going up again as I am posting this at 11:41Pm its at 1650CFS and we are going into a Full moon over the weekend which can make a difference .
    so maybe a big rush of fish in the next 3-5 days will make it happen upstream to the Mokelumne Hatchery along with a few Large steelhead that I saw Wednesday at the hatchery in the holding pens .

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    Flows the last three years have been around 400cfs out of Comanche as the baseline. Pulse flows this year have reached 1900 and 1600cfs already. So 4x the water coming down than normal usually equals fish migrating into and up the system.

The fish must have missed the memo telling them to come on in since very few are in the system right now. Could change any day though.
    I saw a lot of fish in the Woodbridge section two weeks ago. We had 6 come after spinners one night and lost one on a spoon in a deeper hole.

That was the earliest I had ever seen a big concentration of them in the middle section.

The colder temps and flow from the Sac might be taking a lot of them up that way instead. Maybe when they close the cross channel gates it’ll change.

3. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Flows the last three years have been around 400cfs out of Comanche as the baseline. Pulse flows this year have reached 1900 and 1600cfs already. So 4x the water coming down than normal usually equals fish migrating into and up the system.

The fish must have missed the memo telling them to come on in since very few are in the system right now. Could change any day though.

5. Likes RideNfish, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishinJeeper View Post
    What is a pulse flow?
    The moke is managed by EBMUD, the Bay Area water/electricity utility district.

They take a relatively proactive approach to trying to get salmon back into their hatchery, so in late September the moke is naturally pretty low, around 300-600cfs. It’s a creek of a river til you get down to Wimpys Marina. So a little water goes a long way. EBMUD lets out about 1000cfs on the first pulse, then usually drops it for a week, then pulses again at the start of October. Usually that’s when most fish come up. They do additional smaller pulses through Fall and usually stop around November if I’m not mistaken.

Cools the water and gets the fish to move.

7. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What is a pulse flow?
    Captain of the Little Liberator.

Post Thanks / Like

The upper river (Woodbridge to peltier) is dead as well. As lot of fish came up on the first pulse. Which is odd. This second one, the river is still devoid.

Post Thanks / Like

Moke 10-5

Arrived at Whimpys around 6:45 to a fairly empty parking lot. Only means one thing: very few are catching salmon and those who drove in are hopeful “today is the day.”

Launch, have breakfast and then head down towards beaver. My cousin’s boat is going to troll, my boat is going to jig. Nada for each. Saw a few marks that might have been small salmon but most likely some stripers or large bass. Pull out the trolling gear and start working the area below beaver. Within 2 min, my wife’s rod starts pumping but as soon as she got it out of the rod holder, it was gone. A few minutes later, my rod starts acting weird, reel in and a 10” bass has my lure stuck in its head. We trolled this area again multiple times for nothing. Ran down to hog and made a few passes. No boats, no hits and no fish marked. Ran back up to beaver and trolled and jigged the same areas as before for nada. Back to the launch at 3, packed up and headed home.

DFW boat came by around 12pm and asked if we had anything-thumbs down. They said the had measured only one fish that day and it was a small jack.

Water was 61. The second set of pulse flows is in effect and the river should be loaded with salmon but very few are in the system. The river rotter tournament is today—don’t be surprised if only 3-4 fish are weighed in and the winner at 10-11lbs. Also, saw two fur bags swimming around heading towards Whimpys.

Saw a few cool things: two turkey vultures were in a tree extending their wings to warm up while a crane was pestering them and saw a 7” bluegill swimming for its life trying to escape the jaws of a 15-20lb striper.

11. Likes bigfin, SteelyMan, Paintguy liked this post