Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for boulders!

try upper salmon lake in the lakes basin . gold lake road off 49 just outside sierra city. 2 good spots there . one straight across the lake from the boat launch/dock. but far better is too the right . can't see it from the dock but follow trail around right side of lake. not far less than a quarter mile . you will come to a really good spot that drops off right into the lake. i once sat in my canoe for over an hour fishing and watching one of the young ladies who works in the lodge there free climb all over the face of this thing. each time she used a different route to the top. if i was 40 years younger i might have tried it. best part is if you fall all you are going to do is get wet.

Post Thanks / Like

North Fork Mokelumne River just downstream from Salt Springs Reservoir.

Post Thanks / Like

Take Hwy 70 North out of Oroville and follow the Feather River up above Lake Oroville.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s one I call “the keepers of the canyon”

They are in the red circle to the left of the red dots

On the bear valley camp ground road off 89 north towards loyalton

About a mile past the camp grounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Catch ya later ... hooks

5. Likes bigfin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Catch ya later ... hooks

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for boulders!

I apologize for a thread unrelated to fish, but I'm hoping fellow Fishsniffers could be a great resource for finding streamside boulders for bouldering (a type of rock climbing). As the weight of my outdoor passion has transferred from fishing to rock climbing, especially finding unclimbed boulders for first ascents, I started recalling that many of my fishing sites have quality rock well suited for climbing.

If any readers of this post know of any large boulders (and have pictures), I'd greatly appreciate any direction! Specifically looking for seemingly difficult to climb boulders/faces anywhere between 9-20ft.

P.S. Even though now I only fish a few times per year, I do occasionally browse the Fishsniffer forums to see what everyone is up to. Captain Compassion's posts have been especially valuable for my climbing endeavors as his weather reports of the Hope Valley area help me gauge if conditions are suitable for climbing. Thanks, and happy to see you guys are all still at it!