Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: My thoughts on living in California

I was born in Mason City Iowa in 1950, we moved to California in 1957 (I was 6 years old). I lived there most of my life except for 4 years in the service, total time 1957 to 2006. We moved here to be with my son & daughter and their families. I too fish in California and have relatives there, but I like it here much better. It is getting much worse in the big cities and towns and I really cannot handle the traffic anymore......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

2. Likes fishrman4life1957 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My thoughts on living in California

I was born/raised in Muskogee, ok. I always thought that when i retired i'd go back there. but after traveling
    the world for 40 years, 20 in the navy and 20 as civilian, when I took vac while still working in germany, to
    visit my mother in Muskogee, I realized I had passed the 'country side of life'. we retired in Nevada mainly
    because my sister lives here and I have no other family members back in ok. I have a son that lives near
    morgan hill and a daughter that lives in castro valley. but my retirements takes care of our life, but my wife
    works now and we bank her income. couldn't do that in ca. I had enough of ca when I first joined the navy,
    my first 4 years were in the bay area. alameda and hunters point and school at ti. but if I didn't like some
    place I wouldn't retire there. jmho.
    be safe

4. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have lived in California all my life. When I was a kid our family was lucky enough to travel to the East cost every year to visit my moms family members. That and with a previous job, I have been to every state except two, Hawaii and Rhode Island, in all seasons of the year. There are some great things and some not so great about each state. But even with all that travel, there is still no other state that offers what California has. I currently live in Sacramento. What other state offers 9000+ foot mountains/Forests, ocean, deserts, prime fishing lakes and rivers, all with in a few hours? None! I may move when I retire but that will be up to the Mt.Shasta, Black Butte area.
    Its simple, if you want change, do some research then get off your ass and place an informed vote. Change may or may not come to California but I you don't try to make the change, then your part of the problem.
    Last edited by Plug-n-Jug; 10-10-2019 at 06:26 AM.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

Post Thanks / Like

I moved from the Bay Area To Truckee in 1979. Great move for me. I moved from Truckee to Bordertown Nv in 2009, another great move in that my wife’s parents lived close by and that made her happy. Before we left California I purchased all my life time licenses so I wouldn’t have to pay nonresident prices...another great move.

So now I live in Nevada and can enjoy all the things I liked about California without financially supporting the things I didn’t like in California.

I live 5 miles from the California border which also is zones x7a, x7b with x6a, x6b just up the road. 1/2hr to Frenchman’s lake. Lake Tahoe 1.5 hr. Truckee 45 min. Zone d3-5 is 1.5hr etc...

So ya, I’m happy that Lisa is happy to be close to her parents and California is right there for us to enjoy also.

Plus we bought a brand new house with all energy efficient appliances for 1/2 the price of a 40 year old smaller house in Truckee, with no garage, that needed some remodeling.

No state taxes and low property taxes here.

Worked out great for us. Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Catch ya later ... hooks

7. Likes Hookum Greg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion California is one of the better states to live in. You just need to deal with the politics or ignore them. Nothing you can say or do will change what they are going to do. I'm not in politics and my email to my Congressman or Representative doesn't mean squat to them. So I just go on with my business and enjoy the what this wonderful state has to offer. I hate the traffic but just adjust my travel time around the heavy commutes on the weekdays or weekends. I love the weather it has to offer, I enjoy the mountains, deserts, and oceans. I wish we had more wardens to enforce all the poaching going on but all I can do is report it in hopes they will respond.

I keep saying I'll move when I retire, but I think in reality I'll just move out of the Bay Area and move up into the foothills closer to some of the lakes and mountains I enjoy spending time at.

Again these are my opinions.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

9. Likes Seon, SteelyMan, AnglingWes liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on 54 years Seon, great life with a great wife. I know that California has a great potential, tons of natural gas under the ground, tons of oil offshore, great stands of trees to harvest (environment taken care of course), tons of minerals and gold to mine. Enough to make every Californian rich with royalties. But guess who does not have a clue...….Democrats...…..Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

There are pro's and con's in every state or even every countries.

The trade off is what one selects.

I agree that California is not the same as back in yesteryears but it is what it is. As mentioned, there's no slowing down a runaway freight train.

I lived and worked in many states and countries and enjoyed each of what they offered. But decided to retire here in California.

If one don't like CA government or can't afford living here, then move. And for those that has moved, why keep bashing it? Enjoy where you've moved to.
    Bashing California is like you picking at a scab, it does no go other than fester your mind. It's like a divorcee still Beaching (auto edited) about their ex. Stop Beaching and Start Living.

For the OP, remember "A happy wife is a happy life" ...and this is from an old fart who met his Jr. High school sweat heart and will now celebrate 54 yr anniversary in a couple of weeks.
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you can choose to check out from paying any attention to the stupidity going on and just live your life in your own little bubble.
    That is what i did and i'm much happier. There really is nothing we can do because this state is past the point of no return.
    Depending on where you live, it may be better to stay put and enjoy the good part of living here. The grass is not always greener
    on the other side. I'm 58 and born and raised in Solano county and it has gone to hell like most of the state. My big concern would be for the boy, he has his whole life ahead and is there a better place for him, tough call. Main thing is don't let the crazy's take away from your enjoyment, live your life as close to the way you want
    and shut them out. Where would you go if you left Kalifornika ?

13. Likes GW208, Seon, Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Star Re: My thoughts on living in California

Quote Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
    We need folks like you to stay and be heard. Otherwise, we will never reverse the insanity.
    No reverse in the gear box, it is only "going forward" that Californians head over the cliff like lemmings...…..Jetspray

15. Likes one more cast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We need folks like you to stay and be heard. Otherwise, we will never reverse the insanity.

17. Likes Jetspray, okie, jjb liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast