Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: G. Loomis Rod Questions

I'm dumb.
    Last edited by BigUnInDaBoat; 10-12-2019 at 05:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    The 6010 has a moderate taper, so if you don’t like slow rods, you might not be happy. Maybe look at a fast action rod instead.

No experience with the loomis but have seen and used the St Croix trout and avid rods. Blanks are very nice but I liked the front part of the Avid handle a little more than the trout model. If looking high end, might throw the legend elite panfish 5-6 model in there also.
    I do like a slower action rod more than any fast I've ever used but I don't care for a true slow that flexes all the way into the handle like older fiberglass rods. I prefer a bit of stiffer section from the grip to around halfway to the bottom guide so the blank does not flex all the way to the grip like a true slow action does yet still bends way deeper into the blank than a fast action.

The Trout and the Panfish series of the St. Croix rods don't make my short list due to having inferior guides on them. I saw that legend elite and don't care for the grip design or the price tag on those at all lol.
    Last edited by R Shackelford; 10-12-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The 6010 has a moderate taper, so if you don’t like slow rods, you might not be happy. Maybe look at a fast action rod instead.

No experience with the loomis but have seen and used the St Croix trout and avid rods. Blanks are very nice but I liked the front part of the Avid handle a little more than the trout model. If looking high end, might throw the legend elite panfish 5-6 model in there also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Prettyman01 View Post
    I will be buried with my SR842-2 GLX.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Lol I hope I'm that happy with my IMX 6010, just worried about it being like a wet noodle with it being "softer than their typical ultralights." Does this rod bend all the way into the handle or is it a true moderate action where there is still some stiffness down near the grip? I have used slow rods that bend all the way down to the handle and I don't care for those.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be buried with my SR842-2 GLX.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no experience with the first two rods you mentioned, but I do have a St. Croix Avid. Mine is a 7' Ultra Light. It is to be used with 2-6 lb. line and can throw a lure weighing up to 3/16 oz. It's a great rod. All of the St. Croixs are (I have two other models). You can't go wrong with them. The Avid, in particular, has great sensitivity.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses guys, glad to hear good things about my top choice. I generally don't buy expensive fishing equipment but I have been trout fishing for 20 years now and am finally going to invest in some better gear, tired of wearing out cheap rods.

Post Thanks / Like

For me it is a matter of expense and how many times I step on one of my rods. Light gear is cool but my wallet, as a retire', limits how many I can use. True my garage looks cluttered with fishing gear, but it is a accumulation of 60+ years of life and 50+ years of marriage and loving family. I like the choices you have and some of my great friends were or are guides. They have expensive gear because if someone on board looses or breaks stuff it is added to the bill. I hope you have a great time with whatever you choose...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

I got the 6010 imx.

Sweetness with a light reel. Cant go wrong.

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

thank you.

12. Likes Waterdog liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast