Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sacramento Area

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sacramento Area

So, there are still opportunities to boat a salmon if I was to drive up there next weekend and troll spinners? Is that the best option first thing in the morning and throughout the day? I'm still new at Sac salmon fishing and this would be my second and last trip to Sacramento this season. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Drifter View Post
    No offense meant by the stats Mark1 - I thought others may find it interesting like I do. Personally I don't think there are any truly "wild" fish left - those genes were diluted decades ago. What we are really left with is progeny of in-river spawning vs. hatchery spawning. If you sense anyone getting riled up over your claim that you caught a "wild" fish, it may be because it can send the wrong message to the uninformed masses that there is a self-sustaining run of truly wild fish on the Sac system and they need to be "protected," when in reality those fish have been inter-breeding with hatchery fish for generations. You can't build multiple dams and destroy 90% of the spawning habitat on a river system then expect to have a self-sustaining "wild" fishery. Anyways...you see the rabbit hole that the "wild" fish issue can create, which is why people tend to jump on this topic when someone refers to a Sac River Salmon as "wild." For those of us that follow this debate in other states such as WA and OR, we have seen the chaos the wild fish zealots can create, and we want to be very clear that the Sac system, with its multiple dams, water diversions, and almost complete destruction of spawning habitat is an entirely different animal than what they are dealing with up there. Apples and oranges...
    Didn't take offense, I meant what I said, nice stat. Unlike these wild Salmon patrol guys came that off like they did, touchy about their "wild" Salmon rabbit hole, boy did they 'jump' on the topic. I didn't sense, they got riled up. The hard cores also didn't have the exact facts straight. They need to also educate themselves, calm down and learn how to respond better to the masses;) Anyways a guy next to me lost 2 fish yesterday, so they are still out there and the weather is great for a couple more weeks, get out there and maybe get a nice clean late fall run Salmon. Good Luck!!
    Last edited by Mark1; 11-05-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Jfitalia;1174172]It just helps to to actually be educated on the manner.

I can promise you have a ways to go.
    Last edited by Mark1; 11-04-2019 at 04:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    Honks...you can calm down and take a deep breath...and jfitalia, they aren't wild just as long as you promise they aren't.
    It just helps to to actually be educated on the manner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
    Nice adipose stat. Then a couple of my fish are maybe wild. Seemed I've riled up the little wild Salmon patrol. Just glad I caught some clean 'unclipped' Salmon, hopefully some more to come.
    No offense meant by the stats Mark1 - I thought others may find it interesting like I do. Personally I don't think there are any truly "wild" fish left - those genes were diluted decades ago. What we are really left with is progeny of in-river spawning vs. hatchery spawning. If you sense anyone getting riled up over your claim that you caught a "wild" fish, it may be because it can send the wrong message to the uninformed masses that there is a self-sustaining run of truly wild fish on the Sac system and they need to be "protected," when in reality those fish have been inter-breeding with hatchery fish for generations. You can't build multiple dams and destroy 90% of the spawning habitat on a river system then expect to have a self-sustaining "wild" fishery. Anyways...you see the rabbit hole that the "wild" fish issue can create, which is why people tend to jump on this topic when someone refers to a Sac River Salmon as "wild." For those of us that follow this debate in other states such as WA and OR, we have seen the chaos the wild fish zealots can create, and we want to be very clear that the Sac system, with its multiple dams, water diversions, and almost complete destruction of spawning habitat is an entirely different animal than what they are dealing with up there. Apples and oranges...
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

6. Likes Folsomtroller22 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteelyMan View Post
    Well let's see, the little thing makes it out to the Ocean, survives 3 years on it's own, swims all the way back up to the same River,,
    I'd call that a pretty wild life,,,,

Wild, Hatchery, ,,, all a gift from God to be thankful for.
    Well said SteelyMan! They all taste the same to me! Don’t take what the Honker posts personally, Mark. From other posts and his bio, that just seems to be who he is. He talks in his bio about being courteous and treating people well, but his posts don’t always come across that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well let's see, the little thing makes it out to the Ocean, survives 3 years on it's own, swims all the way back up to the same River,,
    I'd call that a pretty wild life,,,,

Wild, Hatchery, ,,, all a gift from God to be thankful for.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice adipose stat. Then a couple of my fish are maybe wild. Seemed I've riled up the little wild Salmon patrol. Just glad I caught some clean 'unclipped' Salmon, hopefully some more to come.
    Last edited by Mark1; 11-04-2019 at 05:36 AM.

10. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

DFW only clips 20-25% of Salmon on the Sac and it’s tribs, while they clip 100% of the Steelhead. So...if you catch a Salmon with its adipose in tact, its likely part of the 75% of the hatchery Salmon that aren’t clipped.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

12. Likes Bankie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Honks...you can calm down and take a deep breath...and jfitalia, they aren't wild just as long as you promise they aren't.

14. Likes Bankie liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast