Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Water bite

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Top Water bite

Speaking of topwater...my buddy has been out finding the stripers feeding on bait and has caught a few nice ones [up to 10#] at the local bay area lakes on a pretty big topwater rig.

Post Thanks / Like

LONO,
    Im a big believer in Karma....it will come back to you.

Now I'm also a big believer in Boat USA tow insurance......and keeping my boat in tip top running condition- grin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerDV17 View Post
    I watched 4 guys at Beldens try to start their outboard for 45 minutes.

Finally gave up, put the motor cover on and then paddled out and let the current take them out.

Around 2 hours later a guy launched and returned shortly towing them back to the dock.

When I told him what they'd done he wasn't happy to say the least.

No offer of money and no Thank You!!!

Mike
    that was so wrong of them to do that...
    I'm lovin' it! Bill.

Post Thanks / Like

I watched 4 guys at Beldens try to start their outboard for 45 minutes.

Finally gave up, put the motor cover on and then paddled out and let the current take them out.

Around 2 hours later a guy launched and returned shortly towing them back to the dock.

When I told him what they'd done he wasn't happy to say the least.

No offer of money and no Thank You!!!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the kind words fellas, it's much appreciated. Just wanted to reiterate that I didn't post this for kudos but to really put it out there that taking off into the Delta in a boat that is suspect at the launch isn't a good idea and can lead to bad things. I am not nearly as good at this fishing game as some of the other guys on the sniffer, or out there in general. I still consider myself a true novice at this so when I land a healthy 10 pounder in my first few minutes of a trip, I'm thinking this is going to be an all time outing - only to have it cut short. I was really happy I was there to help out, and felt blessed that I was in the position to offer help instead of needing it, but I also had a friend on the boat who had never ever been fishing before. He like myself is a really busy guy with a family and his career, and it took us months to line up free time to go out and finally hang out on the Delta for the first time and he was super excited to see what this sport of ours is all about, and before we knew it we were back at the launch.

I just hope more people practice safety and not chancing it out there because it can affect others. I think if I ever have to pull someone back again in I will do what DSA did and tow to the nearest launch and ask them to take an Uber back to get their trailer. Be safe out there everyone, and hopefully I can get out soon before this Fall run ends.

6. Likes Stickman, kickinit, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    This is a super late post, I have been out of State for the last week +, just wanted to post that the Fall run is here. I fished the West Delta two Saturdays ago. had a healthy 10 pounder blow up my 5" black whopper plopper on my tenth cast of the morning. It was a stocky mama with a brick for a head. I thought we were going to be in for a legendary day, but soon after we ran into a couple of stranded boaters. The wind was pretty nasty that morning and where they were stranded they looked to be in a possibly dangerous spot so fisherman's code, we gave them a tow back to the launch. We towed them with my little boat across some really messy water getting soaked along the way. It took up most of my morning window and then the wind got really bad after we finally landed them back on the launch safely, so we decided to end the trip after just one spot fished.

I know that for any boater, making the time, and spending the money to have a day on the water is a huge investment, and that when you show up to the launch and your boat is acting up, most people will try their best to right the ship. Please keep in mind that when you do risk going out on the water in a suspect boat, you are not only putting yourself in a precarious spot, but also anyone who will end up coming to your aid. The guys we helped out were really nice guys, and very thankful we helped, but their day wasn't the only day that was ruined, my day also ended when we spent the better part of the morning towing them back in very windy conditions.

Please don't be afraid to abort your trip if you get to the launch and something is not right with your boat! I have driven lots of miles, crossed bridges and paid tolls only to find at the launch that the conditions are much more dangerous than forecasts called for and I have never been afraid to pull the plug for fear that I might make the news. I know some unforeseen freak breakdowns can happen, I have had them too, but if you spend more than 5 minutes trying to fix your boat at the launch, just be safe and abort the mission! No fish is worth the trouble of being stranded on the water.

You are right on with boat safety Lono100.
    I was out soaking bait around Brannan island Sunday morning and my trip was cut short too... Had to tow a boat back to sherman launch and didn't feel like fishing after that. Nada for me. I think it's still alittle too hot for stripers.

tight line everyone.

Post Thanks / Like

You're a good man Ken...kudos to you brotha. nice fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Good job on the tow. We helped two dudes out the other night and a pair of jet skiers a few weeks back inside of Sherman lake. Wanted us to tow them back to Antioch but played it safe and got them to take a Lyft or Uber from Sherman island county park to get their trailer and make it safer on everyone in adverse conditions of wind and tide.

Good fish too! Hopefully we get some cloudy weather soon. You’ll be repaid in the grand scheme of fishyness

Post Thanks / Like

You're a good man, and will be rewarded for doing a good thing. I've had the same situation and dilemma. Not even a topwater 20#er blowup next to the boat can replace the humble pride of knowing you've done the right thing.

Well done sir. My hat's off to you.

Post Thanks / Like

Karma... It will come back to you. Good job on the fish and I like what you said about don't be afraid to pull the plug if something ain't right. Sometimes we need to be reminded about that and how the world won't end just because we didn't get the boat wet.

Cheers,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast