Post Thanks / Like

Re: Re-deck my boat in aluminum diamondplate

Quote Originally Posted by reel_time View Post
    I have some floor wood rot on two of the sections of my jet sled. Anyone ever take the plywood out and have aluminum flooring to replace it? Just wondering if it was cost-prohibitive. If you've had it done, who does good work on boat flooring? Thanks
    RT
    I tried hard to find FS forum rules to make sure I'm OK mentioning another forum. I think it is OK. If not, let me know and I'll delete the post!

Check out Tinboats.net. It is basically all about guys modifying their aluminum boats. You will find a lot of discussions about aluminum flooring. There is also a ton of info on installing and protecting plywood floors.
    Last edited by Ldubs; 10-16-2019 at 06:59 PM.

2. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's cheaper to get some marine grade plywood and put some wrap the sheets for the vinyl flooring material before installing it again. Unless you get some real thick aluminum, your going to have to back it with plywood anyways for support.

You can also get some sheets of Sea Dek or Gator Step for some anti skid needs. I installed some on the bow of my boat so that when I pick up passengers from the dock they don't slip on the aluminium bow.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

4. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If I had to do it I don't think I would use metal, you would have to get a non slip surface of some type. Just fish blood or scales would make it a slip and slide. Heat would be like cold and make it miserable. It is also hard to get good marine plywood over here in Gardnerville. I had to replace my control panel a few years back, so I got treated wood and painted it heavily before covering it with good outdoor carpeting.......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Too reflective, can't see anything and gets hot

7. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Diamond decking on the floor will result in burnt feet and under chin sunburns. The stuff just gets too hot. If you have an under deck fuel tank and already have venting issues it will make it much worse. Plywood is a good insulator. Keep with Plywood and either shark skin it or spray on bed liner.

9. Likes Paintguy, RideNfish, Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re-deck my boat in aluminum diamondplate

I have some floor wood rot on two of the sections of my jet sled. Anyone ever take the plywood out and have aluminum flooring to replace it? Just wondering if it was cost-prohibitive. If you've had it done, who does good work on boat flooring? Thanks
    RT

11. Likes Jetspray liked this post