Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

First time trolling - spinning reel?

Btw, in case anyone is interested - here’s our new to us, but 50 year old boat (1969 Tom Sawyer)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes RideNfish, Paintguy, Jeff E liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: First time trolling - spinning reel?

Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    I think you're getting the right info. Yes you can troll with the spincasters though the baitcasters are a little more user friendly for that technique. Having said that, don't let having only spincasters keep you from fishing. Just keep reading and watching and you'll figure out what is going to be best for you guys in the long run. Good luck and congrats on the boat.
    Thanks for the reassurance murph. We went out and had a blast even though we lost gear... always disappointing. We know there is a learning curve, & it takes time and effort to get better...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honksrworkn View Post
    I use spinning reels off the downriggers trolling for trout but your not worrying about how far you wanna set back ..... Trolling for Salmon its always easier to use a casting feel with line counter .... Line counter reels have come a long ways and there are plenty of decent budget options available these days ..... KastKing , Okuma off hand , Diawa makes the Lexus in a bunch of sizes but cost a bit more , and if you don't mind spending a little more get the Shimano Tekota in 3 or 400 size with counter IMO the best ...
    Good fish n to ya
    I’ll definitely look these reels up - thanks honks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    You didn’t mention brand or size of your spinning reels. Can they hold +60yds (180’) of 17-25lb line? If yes, you should be fine. If not, they might not have the line capacity or drag capability for a large salmon. You didn’t mention rods used either. Flashers have a lot of drag and can easily overpower a rod not up to the task.

Key issue with using spinning reels for trolling is repeatability: knowing how much line is behind the boat and repeating that. Best way is to pull line off the reel with your hand in 2’ increments, so 20 pulls=about 40’.

Another option, but is something I would not suggest without knowing how much line is gained by one handle crank or with weighted lures, is to click the back reel button and count the handle turns until you get to your desired line back. Most reels reel in 24” to over 30” of line per crank so just like above 20 back cranks with 24” coming off =40’ line out.

As for bait casting reels, those with non disengaging levelwinds can allow one to count the “bars” or how many times the level wind goes across. For example, the Abu Garcia 5500’s=7.5’ per bar across and the 6500’s=10’ per bar.

If you’re not into math or have difficulties in remembering what happened 5 min ago but really want to learn how to troll, buy some decent linecounters and enjoy life. Well worth the investment.
    Hey snowtrout. We have 9ft Shimano Scimitars. One reel is a Daiwa Laguna 4000 5bi the other is an Okuma 40 (much smaller and only 1 ball bearing if I remember). Pretty sure both have 16-17lb test line, so yikes we are on the low end.

How do you decide how much line to pull out, or do you just consistently use 30-40 ft if that setup worked in the past? We did try to measure as you said, but between my husband & I, there was an argument about how many feet line should go out... one of us said 80 YARDS & one of us said a small fraction of that... lol, will not out who said what. But I imagine you can guess. ;-) thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by retiredagain View Post

An important question I havent seen is, what is the length of the rods? For cut plugs and flashers, you need a minimum of a 9 ft rod. In this case, longer is better.

You can use a shorter rod for running spinners or quick fish. Fishermans warehouse has a great 10 1/2 ft casting rod for $49.00, (a shimano) that I just bought, and it is great.
    Hey retiredagain. Our rods are 9ft Shimano Scimitars we picked up at fisherman’s warehouse - love that place! Yesterday we realized we can’t go less than 5 mph with our I/o motor (4 cylinder, I guess it didn’t like prolonged slow idle), so probably will need to think about a trolling motor in the future... In the meantime, we thought we might try anchoring to use the cut plugs with the current. I’m pretty sure that’s a thing?

7. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mytidi View Post
    Make sure you have a big enough net. The first time I went out about 6 years ago we lost 5 fish in one day because our net wasn’t big enough!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    mytidi - solid advice. we definitely need to invest in a bigger net... I knew in my heart while packing our little trout net on a stick that it wasn’t going to cut it in the off-chance we got a fish. How frustrating to lose fish that way - will learn from your pain! Thank you

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=rosietheaussie;1173895]My husband and I recently got a boat —we’ve been bank fishing salmon all season & had an eye on a used boat husband found, and last weekend pulled the trigger. Sweet! We are boat owners. Spent all week getting the boat ready and gathering trolling supplies (cut plugs, flashers, etc etc). A thought only just occurred to me, a mere 12 hours before we plan our first foray trolling in the Sac River, we only have spinning reels! Wow, little late in the game to think of this, but it happened. Searches in this forum plus google have been a little helpful while also sometimes being contradictory. It seems like the consensus is that it can be done, but it’s not ideal, but for example, how to set the drag I notice is debated. I’m also aware of line twist issues from this forum, and advice on letting line out to let itself untwist. Beyond that, however, I’m really wondering if we are setting our selves up for failure? Would those with experience kindly share some wisdom? Any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you so much! I really enjoy the community here and have learned so much since joining.
    -Rosie

An important question I havent seen is, what is the length of the rods? For cut plugs and flashers, you need a minimum of a 9 ft rod. In this case, longer is better.

You can use a shorter rod for running spinners or quick fish. Fishermans warehouse has a great 10 1/2 ft casting rod for $49.00, (a shimano) that I just bought, and it is great.

STICK N FISH&FOLD N FOWL honksrworkn's Avatar
    No Cal .... Between the Sac and Feather ..
    Post Thanks / Like

I use spinning reels off the downriggers trolling for trout but your not worrying about how far you wanna set back ..... Trolling for Salmon its always easier to use a casting feel with line counter .... Line counter reels have come a long ways and there are plenty of decent budget options available these days ..... KastKing , Okuma off hand , Diawa makes the Lexus in a bunch of sizes but cost a bit more , and if you don't mind spending a little more get the Shimano Tekota in 3 or 400 size with counter IMO the best ...
    Good fish n to ya

Post Thanks / Like

You didn’t mention brand or size of your spinning reels. Can they hold +60yds (180’) of 17-25lb line? If yes, you should be fine. If not, they might not have the line capacity or drag capability for a large salmon. You didn’t mention rods used either. Flashers have a lot of drag and can easily overpower a rod not up to the task.

Key issue with using spinning reels for trolling is repeatability: knowing how much line is behind the boat and repeating that. Best way is to pull line off the reel with your hand in 2’ increments, so 20 pulls=about 40’.

Another option, but is something I would not suggest without knowing how much line is gained by one handle crank or with weighted lures, is to click the back reel button and count the handle turns until you get to your desired line back. Most reels reel in 24” to over 30” of line per crank so just like above 20 back cranks with 24” coming off =40’ line out.

As for bait casting reels, those with non disengaging levelwinds can allow one to count the “bars” or how many times the level wind goes across. For example, the Abu Garcia 5500’s=7.5’ per bar across and the 6500’s=10’ per bar.

If you’re not into math or have difficulties in remembering what happened 5 min ago but really want to learn how to troll, buy some decent linecounters and enjoy life. Well worth the investment.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe level wind reels are definitely a better choice, if trolling in 150' of water (think inshore and Tahoe), but a good spinning reel is fine for the rivers. And a big net.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast