Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The new normal??

Quote Originally Posted by PapaGreg View Post
    Our power came back on at 10:30 this morning, five days without, so glad PGE prioritized us for energizing! I have no problems with the field personnel, they have a job to do and families to support and I am grateful they are in the field getting us back on line, but the execs and CEO can kiss my ass
    It's all OK, they only want to control what you do. Monopolies are like that as Google buys fitbit and the internet follows and listens to everything you do and where you go (smartphones). Next you will need chips implanted to buy and sell. Revelation, thanks SATAN...….Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

2. Likes TBSP, zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Our power came back on at 10:30 this morning, five days without, so glad PGE prioritized us for energizing! I have no problems with the field personnel, they have a job to do and families to support and I am grateful they are in the field getting us back on line, but the execs and CEO can kiss my ass

4. Likes TrackerDV17, salmonid, zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And then you have the counties and towns that do not allow you to cut trees. My brother is a good example. He built a new home a few years ago and the fire department told him he needed 100 feet of clear space. He started cutting back the brush. The county came out and told him he would be fined for "Illegal Clearing" if he cut any more brush and trees. I was told by someone who lived in the town of Paradise that they were not allowed to clear some trees in their yard. That was before the fire. I suspect governmental agencies might start rethinking this entire mess with clearing or not clearing trees.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not blame the utilities totally. In fact most of it falls at the feet of the people. They will not clear or let the utilities clear around the lines.
    Then there are the people that love the "natural" look. Build houses on brushy hills and will not clear around or let municipalities clear fire breaks around them .
    30 years of chasing wildfires and you see a lot.
    You can’t fix stupid, no matter how much duct tape you use!
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grncrestliner View Post
    Wake up (4 am this morning) start the big generator so you can have water. Make sure to run it long enough to help the freezers stay cold. 2 hours later you are tired of the noise. Turn large generator off and run small one for lights TV and inside refer. Repeat as needed day after day. Dont forget to keep enough fuel around to last a few days.
    Being a retired electrician I am getting lots of calls for advice on how friends and neighbors should connect the generators they have on order. Good time to be a generator salesman.
    Good time to be in solar as well.

Post Thanks / Like

After two days the power came back on the other day but..

I have one 2000w generator that powered the two bait freezer in the shop, one 3000w Honda that powered the beverage fridge/freezer on the back porch and the family room and kitchen. Standing by is/was a noisy Coleman 5000w and two 5 gal gas containers.

I also pulled out the MH from the barn with gas tank and water tank full, batteries fully charged and ready to tow the boat to go crabbing.

Life is great.

235 Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

9. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Friend down in Topaz got talked into generator and runs on propane, 1600 sf house and 18k generator ??? can run 4 houses with that much power, more if no a/c is needed

Post Thanks / Like

Our power was turned back on yesterday afternoon. I have talked to numerous people who eventually adapted to my generator system. I have a transfer switch on the large generator so it is a no brainer. I however run extension cords for the TV and some table lamps as well as the refrigerator. The reason is we get really tired of the noise and fuel consumption of the big generator. Running a small 2000 watt generator out on the patio is cheaper and quieter. We have to have the big one for the well and I run the two freezers on it for a few hours per day. One neighbor does the same thing. Another neighbor just throws the perishable food away each power outage and buys more food after we get power back. They have a generator but hate to run it. ???? That also means they have no water when the power is out.
    Now my furnace does not work and the first available service man is 2 weeks out. I have been told that if my printed circuit board is bad the entire heater may need to be replaced since parts are probably not avcaiable for a 25 year old furnace. We knew it could happen some day but you are never really ready. Right now we have 2 space heaters and a Mr Heater keeping the house tolerable.
    Last edited by Grncrestliner; 10-31-2019 at 05:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

All I got to say is buy a Honda

13. Likes zipperman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: The new normal??

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post

I have no generator.
    When we first moved in November of 2006 the very fist purchase was the generator. When I had my electrical box installed a few years ago, I had a 4 prong box for an RV installed with it and it's own fuse switches and a dead ground with a 8 ft copper pole driven into the ground. It eliminates the chances of power going back up the line when I switch off NV Energy in case of power outage. I just roll it out from the garage, hook it up with the switches in the correct placement and start up the generator. It will run the whole house, but we usually switch off many things in the house just to limit the power usage...…..Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

15. Likes Captain Compassion, Paintguy liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast