Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Control Cable Help

Quote Originally Posted by ppickerell View Post
    Hey Doug,
    On mine you have to pull the main lever out away from the bulkhead to be able to advance the throttle without engaging the tranny.
    I will check that out. Thanks Patrick!

Quote Originally Posted by redneckpunk View Post
    Cables should have numbers printed on them. Usually somewhere that isnít exposed and hasnít been rubbed off. Best bet is to use a small diameter rope or heavy braided line and just pull them through. Then if you still donít have a number you can just measure them.

As far as a loop in the cables, that depends on a couple factors; which side of the motor the cables insert and the distance from there to where they exit your splashwell.
    I realized that after looking at that loop drawing that my cables enter oposite. So the loop is not needed. I will copy what I have or maybe even add a foot. When the motor is up leaning it to starboard keeps the cables from hitting the splash well.

I can't find numbers on my cables and I traced them a long ways. I didn't cut the tie wraps but only found one number that seems to not tell me anything. I was hoping to find the details of the cables before pulling so I could use the old cables to pull in new ones. Thought it would be easier than a rope/line of some kind since then I would be using equal diameters to pull through.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerDV17 View Post
    When the idle lever is used/lifted up it locks out your shift/throttle lever.

Mike
    That is how I thought it worked. Just trying to figure out neutral engaged throttle. I know that is what I mostly see on other controls is a button or pull tab for throttle only in case you need to rev up a motor without being in gear.

Only number I could find and doesn't help. 50131

Here is the cable layout. Bend doesn't seem to drastic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ppickerell View Post
    Hey Doug,
    On mine you have to pull the main lever out away from the bulkhead to be able to advance the throttle without engaging the tranny.
    He has a different style control / binnacle with an idle lever.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RideNfish View Post
    When the fast idle lever was up I couldn't move the main lever. I thought it was locked out. Maybe I need to play with it more.

Thanks
    When the idle lever is used/lifted up it locks out your shift/throttle lever.

Mike

4. Likes burninfuel liked this post
    Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cables should have numbers printed on them. Usually somewhere that isnít exposed and hasnít been rubbed off. Best bet is to use a small diameter rope or heavy braided line and just pull them through. Then if you still donít have a number you can just measure them.

As far as a loop in the cables, that depends on a couple factors; which side of the motor the cables insert and the distance from there to where they exit your splashwell. If itís a short distance and the cables will kink and bind or movement will be restricted you want to loop them. On my boat, the cables insert on the port side of the motor and the distance is great enough that a gradual arch of the cables works perfectly. Take a look at previous install and if the cables were not extremely bent at any one point, chances are that same method will work just fine on your install

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Doug,

Post Thanks / Like

The length and type of the cables is printed on the cable you are pulling. I used heavy braided line on the end of the cable as I pulled it through. Made it a great deal easier when my son and I did the replacements.......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

I had to replace my controller and build a back board a couple of years ago. I used outdoor carpet and had to paint the wood backing before installing the carpet. Here is where I get the cables if you need to purchase some.......Jetspray

https://www.cpperformance.com/c-100-control-cables.aspx
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnglingWes View Post
    Lift this lever for throttle only.
    When the fast idle lever was up I couldn't move the main lever. I thought it was locked out. Maybe I need to play with it more.

Thanks

10. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lift this lever for throttle only.

12. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Control Cable Help

Hi all,

My control cables see to be a bit "sticky". This is the new to me 2005 Alumaweld and it has a Merc 115 of the same year. I believe I need the 600A. Here is a pic of my cables.

This is the control box can't find an identifying tag or model number. And BTW, shouldn't there be a "throttle only" button somewhere? The knob in the center of the lever isn't it.

Also my cables have no length stamped on them that I can find. They are about 16 or 17'. Most online cable sellers say there should be a complete loop of cables in front of the motor.

I don't think I have seen any of the boats I have been on set up that way. Just enough cable to protrude out and make a gentle arc. Any thought on this from those with experience? I didn't want to pull my cables until I have the new ones in hand. I wanted to fasten the new cables to the old and pull them through.

I should mention that when I disconnected the cables from the shifter on the motor I was able to slide the arm into and out of fwd and rev with absolute ease.

Thanks everyone.
    Cheers,
    Last edited by RideNfish; 10-29-2019 at 07:35 AM.

14. Likes Jetspray liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12