Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stripers MIA!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stripers MIA!!

It's been ROUGH!

Like a lot of you, all the classic Fall spots have failed to produce any good (DD) fish for me. That said, it's always right place at the right time with these fish and as hard as it is, show up for each one of your opportunities and the ol' "today will be the day," spirit may prevail. I've got two days lined up (tomorrow and Monday) and I am going to give it my best shot. This coming off a complete and utter skunk last week! Anyhow I'm sure ya'll get my point - can't catch em sitting on the couch!
    HKSLAYS MULTIMEDIA FISHING

Post Thanks / Like

I was out running around in mid October and must have covered 45 miles that day for 1 18" striper. Historically, that has always been the best time for me, but I did notice it was unseasonably warm that day. During that trip, I marked huge schools of fish in deeper waters, like 35' or so. Tossing lures, I wasnt going to have a chance at them so I worked the shallow bank adjacent to the school I marked. As I was striking out in the shallows, I watched a guide boat with 3 guys on it, they were drifting live minnows. The guide ran right over the deep hole, immediately put his trolling motor on anchor mode and told his clients to drop their baits in. They cleaned up, hooking fish seconds into their drops. They were mostly shakers, but they picked up a bunch of small keepers on that spot. I also marked thick schools hugging the bottom of deep holes in a few other spots that day as well, as for casting into the shallows, well at least I wasn't skunked.

3. Likes Stickman, cdub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a normal fall, that’s for sure. Then again, stripes aren’t normal fish. It’s frustrating for sure, but when they show themselves, keeps it all interesting.

Thanks for the updates.

I think a huge factor in the later and later “runs” of migratory fish have to due with the ever changing river releases and weird patterns of no rain for months on end. A lot of the salmon were much later than usual. Probably the same for a large chunk of quality stripes

5. Likes LONO100, cdub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've haven't had much luck out there in the Rio Vista area also. Been throwing lures in October. Maybe I'll have to resort to drifting live bait.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanx for the report. Been hemming and hawing all week as to whether I go to Antioch area and do some top water for striper, or stay in the Sac area for salmon.
    Salmon fishing it is.
    Taking off and flying is easy, it's the landings that will kill you.

Oh Yeah!...Salmon!...Everything else is just practice.

8. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cdub View Post
    River Ron i sent you a PM.
    Thanks - reply sent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRon View Post
    Doesn't sound promising. Fished all day for a single fish in Mildred last Monday on a bluegill.

We have an annual Veterans Day trip planned for this coming Monday. We usually troll but will soak bait as a backup. Any thoughts as to whether the Sac (Decker, West Bank, Sherman) or San Joaquin (Eddo's, Antioch Bridge) would be the most likely area to hook up? Also not opposed to going up to the Cache Slough area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    River Ron i sent you a PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't sound promising. Fished all day for a single fish in Mildred last Monday on a bluegill.

We have an annual Veterans Day trip planned for this coming Monday. We usually troll but will soak bait as a backup. Any thoughts as to whether the Sac (Decker, West Bank, Sherman) or San Joaquin (Eddo's, Antioch Bridge) would be the most likely area to hook up? Also not opposed to going up to the Cache Slough area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

This fall has been slower than normal for me as well. Spring bite was 10x better this year.
    DB

13. Likes cdub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stripers MIA!!

Well headed out on 11/7 fished all the normal places that produce fish this time of year, for nada!! Threw everything i had at them!
    Talked with a few others that were having the same luck? Water temp was right around 60 all day, did not see any bait on the the surface and no birds working! Anyone have thoughts? Are the fish late? I fished in the west delta, sorry wish i had a better report!

15. Likes Stickman liked this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234