Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lake Tahoe 11/9

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Tahoe 11/9

Quote Originally Posted by MKE View Post
    Yes it is a failure based on my opinion and my 30 years of fishing there. But I live up here and fish that lake 30 to 40 times a year and if I have a big job over there I'll fish that lake at least 90 times a year. I used to think they would get bigger but they haven't. One year they were averaging 16"-18" but that was years ago and I haven't seen that size since. There are some bigger (14"-16") but on average the Kokanee are bigger. Maybe you should come up here this spring and check out the weir's and do some fishing and see for yourself. It's truly disappointing if I didn't get any jobs there I would never fish it.
    Im sure there are bigger fish if there are Kokanee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjb View Post
    Pretty sure those fish dont stay 12. Its a failure to you based on your opinion.

Yes it is a failure based on my opinion and my 30 years of fishing there. But I live up here and fish that lake 30 to 40 times a year and if I have a big job over there I'll fish that lake at least 90 times a year. I used to think they would get bigger but they haven't. One year they were averaging 16"-18" but that was years ago and I haven't seen that size since. There are some bigger (14"-16") but on average the Kokanee are bigger. Maybe you should come up here this spring and check out the weir's and do some fishing and see for yourself. It's truly disappointing if I didn't get any jobs there I would never fish it.
    Last edited by MKE; 11-12-2019 at 07:34 AM.

3. Likes SteelyMan, TahoeJeff1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for bringing back the cutts but don't kill the Rainbows and Browns until they're almost non existent. That's what USFW did at Fallen Leaf. They also killed every Mac they could and it made no difference they're still swimming around. Fallen Leaf was and is a FAILURE and it's a fraction of the size and depth as Lake Tahoe. So how's that going to work? I guess if you like catching fish around 12" then you might like it. But not me I remember catching a mix of Browns and Bows at 20"-24" with consistency that was the norm and some a lot bigger.
    Pretty sure those fish dont stay 12. Its a failure to you based on your opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on a beauty of a Rainbow.

Anyone know if Cutthroat are more prone to predation than Rainbows, Browns or Kokanee? I know they tend to be on the dumber end when it comes to catching them, wondering if the same thing goes for getting eaten by Macks.

It would seem like they should be able to establish a viable fishery even if they dont reach self sustaining status. Wouldnt be surprised if there is some reason they dont do as well as others. Might just be folks need to redefine success as a viable fishery vs turning back the clock 150 years. Just a thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully they do take. Im sure fallen leaf was a success if theyre trying it in Lake Tahoe. They definitely need to plant some double digit lahontans for them to thrive over the macs.

I'm all for bringing back the cutts but don't kill the Rainbows and Browns until they're almost non existent. That's what USFW did at Fallen Leaf. They also killed every Mac they could and it made no difference they're still swimming around. Fallen Leaf was and is a FAILURE and it's a fraction of the size and depth as Lake Tahoe. So how's that going to work? I guess if you like catching fish around 12" then you might like it. But not me I remember catching a mix of Browns and Bows at 20"-24" with consistency that was the norm and some a lot bigger.

7. Likes burninfuel, SteelyMan, wckid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post
    Surprising that minnows didn't catch rainbows. Nice 'bow. I used to catch some "nice" macks pulling steel with a K16 Kwickfish in 160'. Trolling the shelf off the flats out from Lake Forest, trolling west around the corner and into the Tavern Hole. Lot of great memories.

Interesting that you troll AC plugs at 4mph. Thanks for the report.
    Minnows are usually a no brainer just not Saturday. The AC Plugs were trolled at 3.2. My buddy had some new fandangeled Rapalas type lures that would not work under 3.5

Post Thanks / Like

What's left of Union Valley Reservoir, lots of lakers and few browns
    Stampeed exact same condition

10. Likes MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im sure fallen leaf was a success
    It was a success in ruining a perfectly good fishery.

12. Likes burninfuel, MKE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know of 3 caught this summer before they planted last month and at least 10 after they planted. As far as a come back NO! There are to many Macs that eat 18" trout in this lake. They need to plant a lot more big ones in different tributaries around the lake. But then They have to compete with the bows for spawning. They just need to leave it alone it's just fine.
    They tried it at Fallen Leaf and absolutely killed that fishery!
    Hopefully they do take. Im sure fallen leaf was a success if theyre trying it in Lake Tahoe. They definitely need to plant some double digit lahontans for them to thrive over the macs.

Post Thanks / Like

Surprising that minnows didn't catch rainbows. Nice 'bow. I used to catch some "nice" macks pulling steel with a K16 Kwickfish in 160'. Trolling the shelf off the flats out from Lake Forest, trolling west around the corner and into the Tavern Hole. Lot of great memories.

Interesting that you troll AC plugs at 4mph. Thanks for the report.
    Catch ya later ... hooks

15. Likes MKE liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast