Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crab Scent

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crab Scent

Should have annotated the boat's make and model then post. May not be poachers but at least others may keep an eye out.

In other forums, I've read where poachers were caught red handed and boat's name, make and model were posted...a couple with pictures of the boat.
    Last edited by Seon; 11-18-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    23.5' Duckworth Navigator, Yamaha F150

Post Thanks / Like

Hey guys,

Went out to HMB yesterday. The swell was down and perfect conditions in the am, but he afternoon it picked up and the swell was up and windy! Anyways in case anyone was wondering about the scent, I decided to do a little experiment. I baited half my pots with the Pautzke fire crab and shrimp scent and the other half without. I know this is not scientific, but it was almost as if the scent was a repellent to the crabs. The 3 with the scent had only a few rock crabs and no dungies. The other 3 without were full about 8 in each pot. Anyways a great day on the water with full limits of Jumbos! This was only a 4 hr soak! Thank you all for your help and good luck out there! Dropped pots in 180'. Oh, I ended up using sardines and squid for bait.

As a side note, we talked to a few guys out there and they had their pots raided. I think I know who they were because there were a few guys in some small skiffs just cruising around the pots and didn't look like they knew where they were going just randomly looking for pots, very suspicious.

Post Thanks / Like

Crab love salmon heads, rockfish and just about anything that will put of a good oily scent trail. Like WhopperStopper said shad is supposed to be good and tuna is supposed to be really good. If you are at a loss for bait you can buy salmon heads at most Asian markets. Not cheap but but worth it if you catch crab!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gligh1 View Post
    ... Used to use chicken, but was scared from the possible salmonella contamination....

Thx!
    For the crabs or for you ?? .

Post Thanks / Like

Crab love salmon heads, rockfish and just about anything that will put of a good oily scent trail. Like WhopperStopper said shad is supposed to be good and tuna is supposed to be really good. If you are at a loss for bait you can buy salmon heads at most Asian markets. Not cheap but but worth it if you catch crab!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Crab Scent

Nice catch! Was that an overnight soak or same day?

Post Thanks / Like

Todays haul using Salmon head, Tuna carks and small container of squid. Limits for 6. Back at the ramps by 11am.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you guys for your input!

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve tried lots of different baits including squid, mackerel, sardines, etc. I do as well with chicken legs. Tried the crab fuel scent, but doesn’t seem to help much other than making a mess in the boat. I do like using squid in my fishing pole snare rigs, but gets expensive when using larger amounts in the traps.

Post Thanks / Like

American shad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast