Post Thanks / Like

Re: Part 1 Puerto Vallarta Great Fishing

Great report. I need to book a trip.
    Thank you

Jerry

2. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Holy Frijoles, Now way i even make the second day.

And best of all you didn't get Beheaded.

4. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report. Congrats on a fun trip. It’s trips like that, that make the daily grind worth it all. Glad you got to enjoy it.

6. Likes RideNfish, Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Day Two

02:50 we leave the harbor and pick up some bait from the guys selling it from their boat. We did our best to get some sleep on the 40 mile journey out. I just can't sleep on anything moving for the most part.

When we got out to the grounds the water was rough! Way to rough to drift for tuna. I was barely able to keep from getting sick. I don't know how I managed. We got some bruises trying to move around. Capt Danny called it "Sporty". We had the first hook up at about 07:30 that turned into a double. It just turned out to be a double of black tipped sharks. Snapped a pic and let it go.

The Capt kept chasing flocks of birds doing their diving and gave us some gear to catch some skip jacks. We then started trolling with those.

Next hook up comes at 10:00 and it's Kevin's turn on the rod. Another Marlin is in the works. This is a tough battle with the fish getting close to the boat about three times and then turning and burning 150 or more yards off the spool to start over.

This went on for 1:40 before the fish finally came over the rail.

Video Link here so you can see this fish.
    https://i.imgur.com/JdwJBiC.mp4

https://imgur.com/JdwJBiC

One hell of a sunset trolling our way towards land.

As hard as the Capt tried we didn't get any more hits. He wanted to get me another marlin so all three of us would of had one over the two days but to no avail. I told him I got my sail fish so was happy with that and there were no unsatisfied customers on his boat. Remember when I said they worked hard? We didn't come off the salt until after 18+ hours had passed!!!!!! 18 damn hours is serious work and some serious fuel to burn. We thought that leaving so early would bring us back earlier. Not the case.
    Well there you have it. Our trip in a nutshell. I won't go into the last two days of recovery from those damn long days on the water and spending time with the wives.

Sorry for the long post.
    Cheers,
    Last edited by RideNfish; 11-18-2019 at 01:38 PM.

8. Likes Paintguy, Elsancho, Waterdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Part 1 Puerto Vallarta Great Fishing

Well, when a friend has a hookup for a condo on the beach in Puerto Vallarta you might as well take advantage of it. 3 master bedrooms each with on suite, ocean view out of the rooms, and luxury kitchen and living area. A weekend getaway cost more. So us three fishing buddies saw that Nov was prime marlin season down there and booked it. We had recommendations to book Danny Gomez with Dharmar Sportfishing. www.dhamarsportfishing.com These guys bust their ass for you. More on that later.

Flew in on Sunday Nov 10th and got settled and set up to leave early Monday morning. Capt Danny Gomez told us to be dockside by 05:30. Our condo was an hour and a half away so we left by Uber at 04:00. We arrived early to see the Capt and crew loading the boat with big coolers and food. We misunderstood and thought lunch was included and even at that hour in the morning our Capt managed to get us some great sandwiches with the bread still warm in less that 10 minutes. So onto the the 2017 29' Blackfin we boarded and were out of the harbor right on time.

Calstar Rods with Accurate Platinum Twin Drags reels everywhere (you don't see them all).

Sunrise with our 7 rods working the 83° to 85° water. Four on outriggers and three out the back.

We picked up bait on the way out and motored out about 15 miles (I think) to the fishing grounds. First fish hook up is at about 07:30 and since I was by the fishing rods they handed it to me even though I called my buddies to take it. Lucky for me it was a nice sail fish that displayed a lot of acrobatics with some big runs. I have never caught one so I was happy to get this fish marked off my list.

About 30 min later another rod goes off and Stuart gets the rod. Definitely something with a bit more mass. Marlin is on.

I manage to get a "long way off in the distance" jump from the marlin and that will have to do for an action shot.

After close to an hour (forgot to look at my watch) Stuart gets the 350 lbs marlin to the boat for the crew to drag aboard. We would of let it go but I think the boat makes a bit off of it so that is how it goes.

Had a lot of down time waiting for the next bite but beer, water, soda, snacks, and sandwiches were all great to fill in the time. Oh, and of course conversation among all of us was a bunch of fun. Finally a rod goes off and Kevin is up for the task. Doesn't take long and he brings in a nice Dorado that will become table fare a bit later.

Awhile later another strike and I bring in the last fish of the day. Another Dorado that we didn't take any pictures of.

I wish I would of taken pictures of the Ceviche that Arturo made from the dorado. He chopped up some of the dorado, mixed in his many ingredients traditional to the dish and put it back in the cooler and said to wait 15 min. Then he brings out the crisp tortillas and starts piling on the goods. Man was that good. Can't get fresher.

They did some butchering on the way back in.

On the way back in which was a 12 hour day on the salt Capt Danny ask if we want to hunt some Tuna for our next outing. He said we would have to leave at 03:00. Ugh... We said let's give it a shot.

We had a day of rest and hanging out with the wives and to bed early so we could get another Uber at 01:30 in the damn morning. We get to the dock and Danny and his mate Arturo are about ready. This time we brought sandwiches for all of us since Danny saved us the last time.

Continued on next post
    Last edited by RideNfish; 11-19-2019 at 10:59 AM.

10. Likes Stickman, Paintguy, Elsancho, Waterdog liked this post