Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How does west coast shad run compare to the east coast?

Here is an article that ran this year in The Fish Sniffer about fishing from a boat:
    http://www.bassjack.com/linked_files...iffer_shad.pdf

More tips here:
    http://www.bassjack.com/shad_tips.htm

2. Likes Paintguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    I believe the shad in Millerton and San Luis he is referring to are landlocked above the dam. Never fished them in those lakes, but have read a bit about it.

The fish in the river systems (Sac, American, Feather, Yuba) tend to come in to spawn in May thru early July. Low in the system most folks plunk with a high-low rig using small grubs or spoons. Farther up the systems, they tend to cast and side drift more. Fly guys get more in the action too. Not a hard and fast rule, but that's my been my general experience.

Fun fish, and under appreciated in my opinion. Good luck.
    arguably my favorite fish to chase after

"WHere were you fishing?" Bigg A's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

After watching videos of guys on the east coast shad fishing. I would say that the west coast shad fishery is kick ass!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Rybak View Post
    I'm surprised they move that far inland (Millteron) but then again they go several hundreds of miles up the Delaware river to New York so it actually makes a lot of sense

I believe the shad in Millerton and San Luis he is referring to are landlocked above the dam. Never fished them in those lakes, but have read a bit about it.

The fish in the river systems (Sac, American, Feather, Yuba) tend to come in to spawn in May thru early July. Low in the system most folks plunk with a high-low rig using small grubs or spoons. Farther up the systems, they tend to cast and side drift more. Fly guys get more in the action too. Not a hard and fast rule, but that's my been my general experience.

Fun fish, and under appreciated in my opinion. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    Besides the Sac, there are American Shad in San Luis reservoir and Millerton. At San Luis, one can usually find them near the pumps, year round, and at Millerton, they make a run up towards the log jam in May and June.
    I'm surprised they move that far inland (Millteron) but then again they go several hundreds of miles up the Delaware river to New York so it actually makes a lot of sense

Post Thanks / Like

Besides the Sac, there are American Shad in San Luis reservoir and Millerton. At San Luis, one can usually find them near the pumps, year round, and at Millerton, they make a run up towards the log jam in May and June.

Post Thanks / Like

yea we fished from rickety old v-hulls in about 2-3 feet of water. So much fun. What bait do you guys use? spinners were the hot ticket for us
    Shad darts or small Crappie jigs with 1" Pink or Chartreuse grubs. Never used bait.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plug-n-Jug View Post
    The shad runs here on the Sacramento and American rivers are great. I bank fish for them. There have been days in the past when I've landed 100+ in one outing. Of course there have been days when I've 0'ed or only caught a few. I've never fished for them from a boat but have seen a ton landed that way. Lots of videos out there about the AR and Sac runs to get info from.
    yea we fished from rickety old v-hulls in about 2-3 feet of water. So much fun. What bait do you guys use? spinners were the hot ticket for us

Post Thanks / Like

The shad runs here on the Sacramento and American rivers are great. I bank fish for them. There have been days in the past when I've landed 100+ in one outing. Of course there have been days when I've 0'ed or only caught a few. I've never fished for them from a boat but have seen a ton landed that way. Lots of videos out there about the AR and Sac runs to get info from.
    I FISH, THEREFORE I CUSS AND LIE!

Post Thanks / Like

I've only ever fished the headwaters of the Delaware River and loved chasing running shad every year. How does the west coast run compare?
    Only you can say after west coast fishing them.
    Most here have never fished shad where you have. I have caught a lot in the Sac. and feather.
    You can’t fix stupid, no matter how much duct tape you use!
    Doing the best I can with what's left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast