Post Thanks / Like

Re: Courtright Reservoir still popping for bows

Quote Originally Posted by Owlman2 View Post
    I personally don't think coloration has much bearing, as I have seen some very colorful stockers, but the other things you mention sure sound like wild fish. At the very least, holdover stockers from years past. If a hatchery raised fish learns to survive after being planted, I personally think their fins recover, although some have told me otherwise. Bottom line, if you cannot tell it from a wild fish, it might as well be a wild fish.
    yea it is really hard if not impossible for an average Joe like me to tell. They are pretty and a blast to catch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Rybak View Post
    all the rainbows we caught (by every appearance metric I know of) appear wild and not stocked. Vibrant colors, noses not blunted, adipose fin not clipped (not all stocked trout are clipped), healthy looking pectoral fins. It could be that they are 2nd or even third year stockers who have grown wild in coloration and condition, but I haven't caught a single trout there this year that looks obviously stocked. The same cannot be said for trout I've caught beneath Pine Flat in the King's River - they were probably stocked earlier the same day I caught them
    I personally don't think coloration has much bearing, as I have seen some very colorful stockers, but the other things you mention sure sound like wild fish. At the very least, holdover stockers from years past. If a hatchery raised fish learns to survive after being planted, I personally think their fins recover, although some have told me otherwise. Bottom line, if you cannot tell it from a wild fish, it might as well be a wild fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    The plants lately at Courtright and Wishon should ensure some good fishing and some beautiful trout for the next two weeks and when the road re-opens up next spring.
    all the rainbows we caught (by every appearance metric I know of) appear wild and not stocked. Vibrant colors, noses not blunted, adipose fin not clipped (not all stocked trout are clipped), healthy looking pectoral fins. It could be that they are 2nd or even third year stockers who have grown wild in coloration and condition, but I haven't caught a single trout there this year that looks obviously stocked. The same cannot be said for trout I've caught beneath Pine Flat in the King's River - they were probably stocked earlier the same day I caught them

Post Thanks / Like

The plants lately at Courtright and Wishon should ensure some good fishing and some beautiful trout for the next two weeks and when the road re-opens up next spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrout View Post
    Thanks for the report. Lots of fish over by the dam. This might be the last weekend up there with snow coming next week.
    yea the dam had a lot of trout. Cross the dam and fish on the rugged bank on the east side of the lake. no other fisherman around you, less pressured trout, and the trout are drawing to that side because those rocks are warmed by the sun. Some beautiful water on that side of the dam.

weren't the mountains supposed to get some snow this past week? I can't see the mountains for "white" where I live... to hazy with the dust to see that far.

Post Thanks / Like

Never fished Courtright, probably never will (far from me, sadly) but it sure looks like a beautiful lake. Thanks for the report

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report. Lots of fish over by the dam. This might be the last weekend up there with snow coming next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Courtright Reservoir still popping for bows

Have been there twice the past month and had really good action for small and medium sized rainbows (wild not stocked). Powerbait and worms were the big ticket. If you go, fish the big rock face on the east side of the lake - the rocks absorb the sun attracting the rainbows as the water gets colder. Just snowed up in the mountains yesterday though so A) not sure the condition of the roads to get there and b) may have sent the trout down deep

9. Likes Captain Compassion liked this post