Post Thanks / Like

Re: Last Call for Alpine?

Quote Originally Posted by Expedition View Post
    are motorized boats allowed there?
    Yes motorized boats are allowed on Alpine with a strict 5 mph speed limit. Having said that, the lake is small enough to make traditional trolling (running back 150 to 200 feet) a little tough. I took my boat up there about 5 years ago for a three day stay and ended up parking it by my rental cabin and fishing from shore. Haven't brought the boat back since, but always manage to get up there a few times each year to fish from the bank. It is an excellent lake to fish from a kayak, or float tube. As with most Sierra lakes/reservoirs, the launch ramp becomes dicey or unusable in the fall due to dropping water levels.

Post Thanks / Like

are motorized boats allowed there?

Senior Member Captain Compassion's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's good to beat the storms. Alpine is a pretty lake that I should fish more. the only problem is I have to go over Ebbits to get there. Glad you found a few.

CC
    Chance is always powerful. Let your hook be always cast; in the pool where you least expect it, there will be a fish. -- Ovid

Post Thanks / Like

Last Call for Alpine?

My Buddy and adult son were able to join me for what looks to be our last bank fishing of the fall at lake Alpine before the snows due next week. Ebbetts pass is already closed but the gate west of the lake is still open. We were surprised to see that the lake had come up about a foot since last week due to the rain/snow that came through on Wednesday. That had the effect of moving the trout from where we had had some luck in past trips, so we had to keep moving around the lake to find some takers.

All three of us caught a couple of trout so Mr. Skunk had to pound sand. Nothing big (11 to 13 inches) but the fish were feisty and beautiful (2 planters, 4 natives!) 3 released, three home for dinner. Although I have had success getting trout to hit a night crawler under a bobber this fall, that presentation got a unanimous "thumbs down" today. All of our fish were caught using power eggs on a sliding sinker rig with 4 and 5 foot leaders.

Snow is in the forecast starting Tuesday and the last time I looked at the long range projections (about 48 hrs ago) there are snow showers likely every day following through December 4th. It has been a VERY good fall for us in the Sierras this year. Successful stops have included; East Carson, Alpine, Caples, Burnside, Woods, Ice House, Silver Lake, and Lower Bear River Reservoir.