Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: West Coaster 152 by Klamath recall

Quote Originally Posted by HNR View Post
    I bought mine from a lady whose husband had bought it at the end of 2015. They only took it out a couple of times and he passed away. I bought it in 2016. I contacted the dealer and he informed me that my boat is in the recall. Can't blame the dealer. The Boat is already crowded with four people. I can not imagine how you could get three people in it, let alone four, after the fix. I would think anyone working on a downrigger where you would normally place one would be safe in any kind of bad weather. This has got to impact the resale value.
    Exactly, well said.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought mine from a lady whose husband had bought it at the end of 2015. They only took it out a couple of times and he passed away. I bought it in 2016. I contacted the dealer and he informed me that my boat is in the recall. Can't blame the dealer. The Boat is already crowded with four people. I can not imagine how you could get three people in it, let alone four, after the fix. I would think anyone working on a downrigger where you would normally place one would be safe in any kind of bad weather. This has got to impact the resale value.

Post Thanks / Like

A likely scenario if you stand your ground and get the help of either the BBB or a lawyer is that they will agree to take the boat back and have the money go toward a comparable boat without the floats. You may need to pay any difference in purchase price but it's a decent compromise. One thing Klamath or any company won't do is admit guilt or fault. They will officially say they will let switch to another boat "as a courtesy". I've dealt with this type of an issue twice in my life and that's what ended up happening. Good luck, stick to your guns and get what you paid for!

4. Likes jjb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't wait too long to seek legal advice.

Time may be a factor in filing a lawsuit.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 5outta6 View Post
    I agree with everything you have written here.

When they installed the boxes at Klamath, near Fairfield, I had the owner sign a brief letter, stating that I was not satisfied with their 'fix', so I've started the process. I told him at that time , I didn't know what I'm going to do, but I think he got my 'drift'.....
    I am weighing my options now.

Please keep this opinions coming as I think we are not the only one's who read the fish sniffer. thanks.
    If this was me I would’ve immediately asked Klamath for a refund or credit towards another boat. If they decline than I’d definitely lawyer up and send them a formal notification of a lawsuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    DO NOT remove those floats! If you do, and by chance you swamp that boat, you will have put all liability and responsibility on your shoulders and taken everything off the shoulders of Klamath including their bad design work.

If I were you, and if you bought the boat new from a dealer, this is what I would do: I'd go to both your dealer and Klamath and tell them you want a full complete refund for the boat, or to take the purchase price you paid and put it toward a comparable boat without the design flaw and need for that shoddy fix. Tell them if they dont oblige you that you will seek legal council. Then when they try to call your bluff, get a lawyer. Once you have legal representation they will magically be willing to meet your demands. Years ago I had a similar situation happen and had to fight BMW over it. I got a lawyer and went to the BBB, and suddenly they met my demands. These companies try to make you believe that you have no options but to pay for their recalls, design flaws and weak craftsmanship, but if you just seek legal council and if you have a solid case, they will oblige you after trying to call your bluff.

Imagine if you bought a brand new home and after you closed escrow, the home builder came back to your house after you moved in and said that there was a major flaw in the design of the home, and to make it livable they were going to remove the living room? That's pretty much what happened to you with this boat if in fact Klamath knew of the coast guard standards and designed the boat after the fact without proper material.

Do not accept that horrible fix, get a lawyer. I cannot stress that enough! Make sure you end up with a boat you agreed to pay for, not some boat with a bunch of metal cans taking up all the floor space. It sucks that you might have to litigate this, but take that loss and get the boat you wanted and agreed to spend your money on instead of having live with looking at that loss of space everytime you are riding around and trying to fish out of that thing. Dig in, get legal representation if Klamath wants to takes it that far and end up with a boat you want, instead of kicking yourself everyday over that crap recall fix.
    I agree with everything you have written here.

When they installed the boxes at Klamath, near Fairfield, I had the owner sign a brief letter, stating that I was not satisfied with their 'fix', so I've started the process. I told him at that time , I didn't know what I'm going to do, but I think he got my 'drift'.....
    I am weighing my options now.

Please keep this opinions coming as I think we are not the only one's who read the fish sniffer. thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    DO NOT remove those floats! If you do, and by chance you swamp that boat, you will have put all liability and responsibility on your shoulders and taken everything off the shoulders of Klamath including their bad design work.

If I were you, and if you bought the boat new from a dealer, this is what I would do: I'd go to both your dealer and Klamath and tell them you want a full complete refund for the boat, or to take the purchase price you paid and put it toward a comparable boat without the design flaw and need for that shoddy fix. Tell them if they dont oblige you that you will seek legal council. Then when they try to call your bluff, get a lawyer. Once you have legal representation they will magically be willing to meet your demands. Years ago I had a similar situation happen and had to fight BMW over it. I got a lawyer and went to the BBB, and suddenly they met my demands. These companies try to make you believe that you have no options but to pay for their recalls, design flaws and weak craftsmanship, but if you just seek legal council and if you have a solid case, they will oblige you after trying to call your bluff.

Imagine if you bought a brand new home and after you closed escrow, the home builder came back to your house after you moved in and said that there was a major flaw in the design of the home, and to make it livable they were going to remove the living room? That's pretty much what happened to you with this boat if in fact Klamath knew of the coast guard standards and designed the boat after the fact without proper material.

Do not accept that horrible fix, get a lawyer. I cannot stress that enough! Make sure you end up with a boat you agreed to pay for, not some boat with a bunch of metal cans taking up all the floor space. It sucks that you might have to litigate this, but take that loss and get the boat you wanted and agreed to spend your money on instead of having live with looking at that loss of space everytime you are riding around and trying to fish out of that thing. Dig in, get legal representation if Klamath wants to takes it that far and end up with a boat you want, instead of kicking yourself everyday over that crap recall fix.
    100% agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well said LONO100 !!!

As LONO100 stated, legal action is the only recourse you have.

Klamath will never admit fault or offer anything other than their fix unless you take legal action against them.

You may even be able to make them pay for your legal fees?!?!!

Mike
    Last edited by TrackerDV17; 12-01-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by LONO100; 12-01-2019 at 10:21 AM.

11. Likes TrackerDV17, jjb liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
    Wow, that is a significant change. A real shame IMO because those are a nice compromise sized boat.

I would ask for a full refund so I could buy the boat I wanted. I'm sure there will be a lot of push back, but heck, that is a material change to the boat's utility. I sure cannot find any fault for you wanting what you paid for.

Anyway, however you decide to proceed, you have my best wishes for a successful resolution.

PS: Out of curiosity I checked Klamath's site. They are kind of light on interior photos of the Westcoaster. They still talk about the "wide open cockpit".
    I have found only one boat shop who advertises the West coaster 152 with a couple of small pics of the 'flotation boxes' in a new boat:
    Coos Bay Marine......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast