Thread: Uvr?!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uvr?!!

Pretty close to a perfect day. Way to go with getting mother-in-law brownie points, and getting the little one involved too.

Congrats on the nice fish and time with the family. I'm jealous.

2. Likes JohnnyT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First time posting pics on here. Sorry if i uploaded wrong. They show up for me. It was a great day. I always released everything I catch unless I canít revive. All fish swam away strong.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a fun trip! Those fish must be feeding pretty heavily before winter. Canít see the pics, did you release or keep them? Wonder what theyíre eating when it gets this cold

Post Thanks / Like

Hit the valley today around 9:30am with my wife my mother in law and my 2 year old daughter. Wasnít expecting much on my day off work but figured Iíd hit one of my favorite lakes before the winter storms came in. Arrived to West Point launch to minimum snow. Continued down to the low water ramp right next to the dam and have never seen it so low since Iíve been fishing UVR. Actually walked all the way down the low water concrete ramp because where it finally met the water there was an abundance of dirt and mud washed up unto the ramp underwater on the ramp. It didnít look too bad and my boat is only a 16 foot monark so I back it down and didnít have to go too far in to actually launch it (bigger boats might have a problem but I donít know). Anyways ended up launching fine, got the top line gear out and not even 5 minutes goes by and we got a take down on the inside rod. Handed it off to my mother in law (I knew it was a decent fish when I set the hook for her) and sheís fighting this fish for a good 6 minutes until I finally get a visual and it looks good and I swoop it in the net for her personal best Mac just under 8 pounds. Get both lines back out and the action is almost non-stop (save the outside rod lol) for another 7-8 rat Mackís. I think we got one or two close to 5 but I didnít boga measure those. Had the lake to ourselves and water was glass all day. UVR still and will always be my favorite lake. I lost count of how many times Iíve been skunked here but itís one of the most beautiful lakes Iíve been too and hardly a soul around in the winter. I played captain today. Cheers.

6. Likes Datster_2000, Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven’t been up in a couple of months, but Smud is very good about keeping it plowed. I would expect to use the lower ramp this time of year. I prefer it, as the upper has a cross slope to it.

I’ve always had the best luck with the Macks pounding the bottom. This time of year you can fish shallower water, but I’d try and stay tight to the bottom If I could. That may mean fishing 50’ vs 90’ but I try and stay within 10 feet of the bottom.

I’ve caught plenty of Mack’s in Oct, Nov and Dec. They do spawn in the fall, but I’ve never been able to figure out a pattern I fealt comfortable with. Pretty much just go fish when I can.

Not much information, but maybe some encouragement. Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 12-05-2019 at 11:04 AM.

8. Likes Stickman, burninfuel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are they harder to catch during spawn?! Just started fishing it for Mackís and do decent with downriggers trying to stay close as I can to the bottom. Wanted to see if anyone has been out in the past week or so since the snow to see if SMUD has plowed it to the dam. I know there are two ramps at West Point too. Was seeing if the water was low that the low water ramp was visible yet or if the water was high enough to launch at the main by the West Point campground.

Post Thanks / Like

Macs on that ramp come january spawn, CDF does plant mac fingerlings there, same as Slypark/ Jenkison main ramp.
    10# plus can be had.

Post Thanks / Like

Uvr?!!

Any new reports?! Was thinking of heading up Thursday and launching by the dam. Havenít been out since summer. Is the water level still low? Mackís on top now with the recent cold front or still deep?! Appreciate any responses. -John T.