Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any Ice on Caples Lake yet?

I'm thinking about going and drilling some holes tomorrow but I just might go to Pyramid instead.

2. Likes RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lakes are good to go now. Went out today and there were 5+ parties on both Caples and Red.

I opted for Red and drilled holes from 10-15 feet of water near the parking lot. Ice was ~6" thick on top, a bit of water, and then more ice below. Had to drill about 18" before I was totally clear.

Got nothing on the tip ups (worms / powerbait) but got a nice Cut on the worm-tipped jig!

IMG_20191231_155934_resize_56.jpg

4. Likes MtnFisher, MKE, RideNfish liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    You'll get no argument from me that Ice fishing can be fun, done safely and reports and local info are very helpful. But folks don't know what they don't know. Ice doesn't develop uniformly around an entire lake (6" deep in one place doesn't mean 6" deep everywhere). Temps, wind, snow cover, exposure and other factors are involved.

If there was open water last week, I wouldn't be comfortable on it this week, but I certainly don't have the experience to tell others what is safe, and what's not.

Growing up, there was a small reservoir above town that would occasionally freeze over in cold winters. Some years it was thick enough to drive on, but not always. Watching others do it caused more than one to try when they shouldn't have. Those are things you don't forget. So long as folks are mindful and make informed decisions, I'm sure all will work out fine.

Hope you get out and enjoy the mountains. It's a great time of the year.
    That's totally fair and I share your caution there. I appreciate that reminder.

I'm definitely still uncomfortable going out there until I hear more reports. And even once I get higher confidence, I want to see other folks on the ice in the area I'm going to before I walk out there to test it.

One thing that should help is the cold front moving through right now. But I'm not gonna rush anything. May check it out around NYE and see if it looks good / if locals say it's good, but I want to remain cautious and not try to force it. A couple of trout aren't worth putting one's life on the line.

6. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ucsbfisherman View Post
    I mean, internet reports from locals are fairly reliable. Caples and Red are lakes that people ice fish on every season. My rule of thumb is I want 6" of ice or more to be able to walk out there, and I believe Caples usually gets significantly more than that through the season.
    You'll get no argument from me that Ice fishing can be fun, done safely and reports and local info are very helpful. But folks don't know what they don't know. Ice doesn't develop uniformly around an entire lake (6" deep in one place doesn't mean 6" deep everywhere). Temps, wind, snow cover, exposure and other factors are involved.

If there was open water last week, I wouldn't be comfortable on it this week, but I certainly don't have the experience to tell others what is safe, and what's not.

Growing up, there was a small reservoir above town that would occasionally freeze over in cold winters. Some years it was thick enough to drive on, but not always. Watching others do it caused more than one to try when they shouldn't have. Those are things you don't forget. So long as folks are mindful and make informed decisions, I'm sure all will work out fine.

Hope you get out and enjoy the mountains. It's a great time of the year.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 12-23-2019 at 11:16 AM.

8. Likes Stickman, MtnFisher, ucsbfisherman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishwrong2 View Post
    I assume it goes without saying, but unless youíve got enough experience to know how thick the ice needs to be to safely fish on it, donít.

Iíve fished more than 40 years and donít know the answer to that question. Internet reports and other folks out there arenít enough experience to make that call. Stuff everyone knows but might forget from time to time.
    I mean, internet reports from locals are fairly reliable. Caples and Red are lakes that people ice fish on every season. My rule of thumb is I want 6" of ice or more to be able to walk out there, and I believe Caples usually gets significantly more than that through the season.

Post Thanks / Like

I assume it goes without saying, but unless youíve got enough experience to know how thick the ice needs to be to safely fish on it, donít.

Iíve fished more than 40 years and donít know the answer to that question. Internet reports and other folks out there arenít enough experience to make that call. Stuff everyone knows but might forget from time to time.

11. Likes Stickman, wckid, MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I read where its has ice on it, but not thick and safe to find out!!! unless you want a Challenge !!!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

I drove by yesterday and it looks good to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MKE View Post
    Last week it wasn't quite Frozen. Be carefull there has already been a fatality up here do to thin ice.
    That's all I need to know. I'll hold off until the New Year then. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Last week it wasn't quite Frozen. Be carefull there has already been a fatality up here do to thin ice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast