Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Braided Line Help

Quote Originally Posted by Jetspray View Post
    Yes and you can load more line on your reel because of the reduced diameter. One real drawback is to have a good line backing on the reel to hold the braided, when I first started using it, back in the day, I made the mistake of not doing that and the line could easily spool off in a shot......Jetspray
    Yes, you’ve got to have backing. One of my first experiences with braid, my buddy loaded it onto the spool of his spinning reel without backing and the whole spool of line just spun. At first we thought his drag was broken then we figured out what was going on. Gave us a good laugh.

2. Likes Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sticking to mono because I don't want to learn any new knots.

4. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jfitalia View Post
    You actually save money by switching to braid, it's a reason big guides like tight line guide services uses braid on all trout great. I made the switch last year and it's been great. Add a 30 foot mono top shot and you're good to go. Plus you get a better set on the fish when long lining
    Yes and you can load more line on your reel because of the reduced diameter. One real drawback is to have a good line backing on the reel to hold the braided, when I first started using it, back in the day, I made the mistake of not doing that and the line could easily spool off in a shot......Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

6. Likes TBSP, Stickman, Ldubs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefanoflo View Post
    I`m with Robbie on the Mono . It`s been around for ever . Even before FC . save the Money .Fish have not Changed , The tackle has and more fisherman and getting caught thinking Braid and FC will put more in the Boat or on the grill. I have use 6 LBs line for steelhead and trout . of Course I use a Noodle rod for them as well so it allows me to use Lite line for big fish . get 15 LBS Mono for Salmon and your good . Play them carefully and you have fish to eat.remember , Trout Salmon and steelhead have Soft mouths . Bass and Stripers don`t .You can rip the hell out of a hook set with those fish.

You actually save money by switching to braid, it's a reason big guides like tight line guide services uses braid on all trout great. I made the switch last year and it's been great. Add a 30 foot mono top shot and you're good to go. Plus you get a better set on the fish when long lining

8. Likes MtnFisher liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I`m with Robbie on the Mono . It`s been around for ever . Even before FC . save the Money .Fish have not Changed , The tackle has and more fisherman and getting caught thinking Braid and FC will put more in the Boat or on the grill. I have use 6 LBs line for steelhead and trout . of Course I use a Noodle rod for them as well so it allows me to use Lite line for big fish . get 15 LBS Mono for Salmon and your good . Play them carefully and you have fish to eat.remember , Trout Salmon and steelhead have Soft mouths . Bass and Stripers don`t .You can rip the hell out of a hook set with those fish.

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

10. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will never use braid for trout or kokanee!!! I want some stretch!!! I have been using mono all my life. Not Broke, don't fix it... I even use it for the Big River Salmon, No issues at all... My 2 pennies!!

12. Likes Jetspray, Stickman, okie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been trolling for trout quite a bit lately and find that my set ups, top trolling with mono out fishes the one with braid 10 to 1. Braid seems to float and not cut thru the water as well as mono. Just my 2 cents. Whalonem

14. Likes Captain Compassion, Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Braided Line Help

Which ever you choose make sure you try to lubricate the line with Ardent line butter or Kevin VanDam's dressing or something like tangle foot. It will help in your casting and keep your line in good shape. I use S-pro swivels to tie the lines on my spinner to the leaders (main line to leader). Braided line tends to fray when it comes in contact with rocks and such, it is easier just to cut off the bad stuff and re-tie as the day wears on. The more you pay for line in braided generally it is better in the long run. Do not shy about the purchase, and I have used all of the lines mentioned so far...…...Jetspray
    2003 Alumaweld, 19'6", Chevy vortec V-6, SD-309 american turbine jet, T-8 Yamaha kicker, waiting for the tackle fairy to show up to fill my boxes

16. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, guys. This was helpful.

18. Likes Jetspray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pros and cons with braid, same as anything else. I used Berkley Nanofill on my trout gear for a couple years. I eventually switched back to mono, mostly because I got tired of having to tie on a new leaders all the time. With the lighter weight braids a double uni knot can be a pain to tie because it's so small. The limp nature of braid with stiff floro-carbon doesn't help either.

With that said, it casts a mile and doesn't kink as bad as mono when it twists. If I were to go back, I'd use 20# braid. For bass and other uses where a clear leader isn't critical, the stuff is great. My 2 cents anyhow. Good luck.

20. Likes muledeer12, Jetspray, MtnFisher liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast