Post Thanks / Like

Re: Premium Flourocarbon line

when using FC for trout .
    I use it by Diameter . because . first its invisible for if it`s thick ,So what ??? so if I use 10LBS in a 0.10 Diameter that matches my 6LBs mainline ,So what . It strong and abrasive.....and INVISIBLE!
    Thinner line is nice but a 4LBs leader is more able to get knacks and nicks and break off because of the thinness of that 4LBS .
    Just remember
    FC is great for stealth and Hook-setting power do to less stretch! I think the Thickness thing is a Marketing gadget.that sells because it says it`s sinks . .I wonder why it sinks??? If its thin!

A Life spent fishing, is never wasted.

2. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If stored out of the sun, most non-braid lines will last two years with maximum strength.

I tend to toss my leader material after two years, since it is the weakest "Link" in landing
    a large fish and we all know about "Re-tying" after a good battle, or dragging bottom, I hope.

New stuff coming out all the time.
    Just saw a salt water show that had 4x & 8x Japan floro line that was braided, that the skipper was
    hot on.

I will be stripping my reels this season to get them ready for the 2020 outings.
    Out with the old................ in with the new.

Tight lines and good hook sets, to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the hands on feedback.

I have been using Trilene 100% FC for leaders on mono. My selection wasn't based on anything other than I recognized the name. I mean, I was standing there looking at a wall full of FC lines I knew nothing about. I recognized "Trilene" so bought that one. I haven't had any issues but should probably pay more attention to retying the spoons based on your comments about trout teeth doing a number on the line.

Anyway, good to have some options based on actual use when I need to buy a new spool.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. Thank you.

I've been using Izorline Co Polymer Platnium in Hi Viz Yellow for my trout rigs the last couple yrs and have been pleased. I purchase it via mail order from a SoCal fishing shop, the owner visits the main office for Izorline weekly and can usually get me any Izorline products. Hi Viz yellow can be tough to find in 4lb test.

For leaders I use the Red Label Seaguar fluorocarbon line found in Walmart, it's tough and invisible. Also use the Seaguar leader line in the small blue label spools.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MtnFisher; 12-26-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Premium Flourocarbon line

I decided to try Seaguar Tatsu on my bass spinning rods this fall. A couple of my bass fishing buddies are adamant that Tatsu is the best leader material for braid to leader applications. I purchased a spool of 8 pound on Black Friday because it was 20% off list so at least I payed a little less money. I have been using Sunline FC Sniper for a few years and a 200 yard spool will last me about a year using it just as a topshot on my spinning reels.
    Now for my opinion so far. I have landed trout up to 7 pounds and bass to about 3.5 pounds using the Tatsu. The trout basically swallowed the dropshot worm and I was using my lightest rod when I hooked the trout. The Tatsu was not damaged much at all on the fishes teeth and usually that can be an issue with a large trout. Their teeth can do a number on the leader material. Most bass are hooked in the top lip so the line doesn't get too bad and you don't have to retie a lot on bass. My opinion so far is in my spring scale the Tatsu breaks at the same poundage as the Sniper does but it does seem to be less susceptible to abrasion so I retie less often. Is Tatsu worth the extra cost? I am not sure but so far it seems to be a little better than Sniper and if a spool will last me a year I may buy it again next Black Friday.
    For those of you that use leader material for trout it might be worth a try but at $35 per spool it is pricey.

7. Likes Olfducker, Waterdog, MtnFisher, zipperman liked this post