Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for "non-backlash" baitcaster for bass

Only advice I have is get a decent reel (I’m partial to Shimano Curado) and then use them in easy situations. Matching what you’re throwing with the appropriate rod and line. Very light baits are harder to throw. Casting into the wind makes things much tougher. Casting with canvas shades and other obstructions makes things tougher.

I don’t bass fish that much but take a lot of buddies striper fishing and all but refuse to put the sun shade up because it’s such a pain to cast around. But I can put a guy in the bow with a 1/2 oz swim bait and we have an enjoyable day without too much bird nest picking.

I feel using decent equipment in an easy to use situations, along with practice is more important than buying a very high end reel.

Sorry for the long winded lack of an answer, but that’s been my experience. And if you’re wife likes fishing with you and wants better gear, you’ve got 95% of the deal figured out already.

Good luck.
    Last edited by fishwrong2; 01-17-2020 at 08:02 PM.

2. Likes MKE, Paintguy liked this post
    Patron Saint of Forum Moderators redneckpunk's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Practice, practice, practice....and even then every once in a while you’ll have an “oh SH1T” moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Likes CAL.NDN, Paintguy, Mr Ed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shimano SLX DC

or

Shimano Curado DC
    DELTA WOOD BOMBERS PRO STAFF

Post Thanks / Like

With a level wind reel.................

there is nothing like an "Educated Thumb" to help prevent back lashes
    and a LOT of practice with DIFFERENT weight lures and reel settings...........
    to get to KNOW what your reel is capable of doing.

Lots of "Pro's" have a light tip rod that they can "Roll cast" with just a little flick of their wrist
    to get the tip to circle and load energy to the lure and send it on its way.

If you can see a Hank Parker or Jimmy Huston show, you will see this type of cast........
    I guarantee it.
    However there is nothing wrong with learning how to "Flip" into heavy cover or make a presentation
    with MINIMUM noise, as the "Plastic" or lure is presented to its target or pressured fish.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I own one of the very expensive DC reels from Shimano and I have no problems getting it to backlash if I do something wrong. I was told when it was given to me there was no way I could make it backlash. You have to make mistakes to get to backlash but it will. I like it a lot but for over $500 I don't think it is really that much easier to use. Probably the most user friendly in my opinion is a $200+ Tatula Elite but in reality any reel with the external control is not too hard to learn. I also like the Curado K and it is about $50 cheaper. I watched a few videos on You Tube this morning and one guy got his baitcaster set up where he had no over run without touching the spool with his thumb at all after making the cast. It will cost you some distance to run the brakes that tight but it might be better than constantly fighting the over runs. If I were giving advice to someone just starting on a baitcaster I would look at a Shimano at $125+- price point. Watch a couple of videos and practice a little on your lawn or wherever you can. For me teaching a side arm cast or a version of a roll cast is way easier until they get the hang of casting. You can roll cast all day and not have a backlash and you get plenty of distance. Watch guys throwing really big swimbaits, they rarely go straight over hand. It is easier to control with a slight side arm cast.
    I have been doing this a long time and I still get an over run occasionally. If you watch a lot of fishing shows you will see guys pulling out a little line after a cast occasionally so even pros get it. Now they run the controls very very loose and that contributes.
    Good luck.

8. Likes Mr Ed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there are any. I have tried the most advanced anti-backlash reels on the market, and I can still manage to get backlashes now and then.

I suppose if you dialed in the "protection features" enough you would not get any backlashes, but then you couldn't cast worth a crap either unless you used really heavy lures. I personally don't think baitcasting reels and casual fishermen/women are a good mix.

10. Likes Mr Ed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions for "non-backlash" baitcaster for bass

My wife loves bass fishing, but hates baitcasters because of backlash. I know there are a few baitcasters out there that are very hard to backlash. I was even handed a reel at a sportsman show a couple of years ago and challenged to backlash the reel by yanking at the line as hard as I could. It did not backlash. Cost was about $250, so a little outside of my budget. So, any thoughts on this?