Post Thanks / Like

Re: Slow day on the SJ

Quote Originally Posted by Waterdog View Post
    My experience over many many years is that the striper fishing in the delta December and January is traditionally slow. More often than not Iíve either caught a shaker or two or nada. I do not recall any spectacular catching days.
    I agree those are the two slowest months, maybe thats why they always have the sportsmens expo in january.
    I have been fortunate enough this year to fish the sac port . I was there today, the water temp dropped to 49*f, but i still managed to hook 13 with one being a keeper.
    I hear a clyde wands report this morning saying he had been catching stripes near the Antioch bridge area drifting minnows.
    No easy buckets out there.

2. Likes Stickman, cdub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My experience over many many years is that the striper fishing in the delta December and January is traditionally slow. More often than not Iíve either caught a shaker or two or nada. I do not recall any spectacular catching days.
    Hunting, Fishing and Labrador Retrievers and at the end of the day a glass of Buffalo Trace Whiskey- Life is Sweet.

4. Likes radoncraft, cdub liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Itís been slow. I fished the lower SJ on Tuesday for sturgeon and stripers and nothing. If you canít get a shaker to bite on anchovies, you know they have lock jaw.
    2018 Duckworth 235 Pacific Navigator
    Yamaha 250HP
    Yamaha 9.9 HP
    Scotty's downriggers
    Lowrance Ti2's

6. Likes Stickman, radoncraft liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Slow day on the SJ

Quote Originally Posted by bnjrmyn View Post
    Launched out of Lauritzenís just after sunrise today. A bit chilly out but the water conditions were nice and calm.
    Headed to Big break and fished my way up the slough and into Big Break a bit. Tried casting and jigging. Managed to mark a few fish but no bites.
    Water was 48.4 degrees.
    Fished my way back out to the main SJ and back to the launch. Skunked. Off the water by 1030. Water temp was 49 on the main river.
    Clarity wasnít bad back in the slough, over 2ft. Less than 1.5 on the main river. Not much debris, shoulda brought my trolling rod along. Oh well.
    Trailer parking at Lauritzenís wasnít quite half full when I left.
    Happy holidays.

Yes thanks for the info Ben, thats a great help. I have been looking for some updates in that area. Thats usually the area i frequent. The last few times out there the conditions have not been good, plus i havent had enough time. Been staying closer to home. Fishing close to the Sac port area. Last week i hooked up 17 stripes with 3 being keepers. Water temp in that area was 53*f, i burned speed traps at 4 plus mph , i think i'm the only one doing that.
    Hopefully i will be able to hit the SJ after the new year.

Thanks again.
    Use your bass rods for trolling... it's all good.

8. Likes Stickman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crazy slow out there. Good effort though. Thatís over half the battle.

Post Thanks / Like

Good info, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In fishing, I throw myself away and find myself again and again.

Post Thanks / Like

Slow day on the SJ

Launched out of Lauritzenís just after sunrise today. A bit chilly out but the water conditions were nice and calm.
    Headed to Big break and fished my way up the slough and into Big Break a bit. Tried casting and jigging. Managed to mark a few fish but no bites.
    Water was 48.4 degrees.
    Fished my way back out to the main SJ and back to the launch. Skunked. Off the water by 1030. Water temp was 49 on the main river.
    Clarity wasnít bad back in the slough, over 2ft. Less than 1.5 on the main river. Not much debris, shoulda brought my trolling rod along. Oh well.
    Trailer parking at Lauritzenís wasnít quite half full when I left.
    Happy holidays.

12. Likes Stickman, radoncraft, Hamachi_Kama liked this post